www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Tips on bug management?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on bug management?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Tips on bug management? Reply with quote

How do you catch flying insects? Butterfly net?
WHat do you use to make them still - if not dead?
Dead ones usually seem to have their legs underneath and are hard to get to stand up.
Do you keep things alive in the refridgerator, or ...?

-

I tried a sundew. QUite a good catcher, but a poor midge died so slowly it was still moving its legs much later, in mid-stack Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by ChrisR on Sun May 03, 2009 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stack came out OK anyway. Lots of what look like see-through artifacts on that detached leg, but I suppose that one was there for only part of the time? The whole image has a poignant feel of desperation to it.

About the subject here, I think it's a midge, not a mosquito -- plumose antennae and no proboscis.

Flying insects, sure, a net works fine. Keeping them alive but not moving after you've caught them, nearly impossible. Some critters will anesthetize with CO2, but the more different kinds I try, the worse the odds get.

For discussion of how to dispatch specimens, see http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7122 and the links therein.

Storing bugs live in the refrigerator is a good way to keep them for a few days, assuming tolerant housemates, of course. My fridge usually has a few in it.

--Rik
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:

Storing bugs live in the refrigerator is a good way to keep them for a few days, assuming tolerant housemates, of course. My fridge usually has a few in it.

It is also a good way of delaying the hatching of insect eggs, many of which do so in about three days.

Harold
lauriek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 100 of these little pots, plastic, around 2" high, around 1" diameter, with screw on lids. I just sneak up on bugs and catch 'em in these, it's a bit hit and miss but I get quite a few! A net would definitely be easier but I haven't got round to getting one! A pooter would also be good for catching smaller bugs. (Pooter: Google it, this is a small device with a container and tubes, you suck one tube and the bug gets sucked into the container via the other tube).

The legs folded up underneath problem is the main reason I shoot mainly portraits. With careful comp you can avoid showing up bits which show the bug is dead...
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauriek wrote:
I bought 100 of these little pots, plastic, around 2" high, around 1" diameter, with screw on lids.

Here is a source of such pots in the UK:

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/thorne/shop/shania?ACTION=thispage&THISPAGE=page18.html&ORDER_ID=167468394

(Third from last item on page).

Harold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: