Lubricating a condenser iris?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Lubricating a condenser iris?

Post by Cyclops »

I noticed yesterday that the iris on my scope's condenser isnt making a circe like it used to.
Instead of a O I'm getting a D if you know what I mean!
Could it be that the grease or whatever is used has dried up? How does one go about lubricating it?
(It does form a circle if encouraged gently with a finger)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

There was discussion of this a few days ago in Yahoo's Microscope group.

Summary is that diaphragms are designed to run dry. Stickiness is often caused by oxidized or dirty oils that should not have been there in the first place. Lubrication may be OK if you're prepared to maintain it.

Cleaning techniques were described.

See http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Micr ... sage/32925 and related messages before/after it.

Also search for "lubrication diaphragm", "lubrication iris", and similar words.

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Thanks Rik.
Thats interesting! The article mentions using ethyl alcohol, which i believe I have in the form of camera lens cleaner!

Ive had this scope for about 20 years and its been fine up till now. I guess it could be down to not being used for a few years.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic