www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - No life in a drop of water!
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
No life in a drop of water!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclops

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: No life in a drop of water! Reply with quote

Some water has collected in a large tub outside and it has mosquito larvae in it,so i thought I'd have a dip and find some nice algae or rotifers.
But there was absolutely nothing moving in my sample, and precious little organic matter(I guses I should have scraped the bottom where some dried grass has fallen in)

All i could find that looked remotely organic was this collection of what looks like protoplasm. I was hoiping I'd found an amoeba but it never moved!

I shifted the camera slightly to partially obscure the image as this showed some off acxis detail-gave a slightly 3D look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Dawnrider/Nature/Through%20the%20Microscope/protoplasm02.jpg
gpmatthews

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some scrapings from the sides and also some sediment or scrapings from the bottom. Another good source of animalcules in the absence of a pond is a bird-bath. Usually lots of bdelloid rotifers, especially Philodina

Also, just soak some organic matter, such as dead leaves, a couple of grains of rice, some moss etc. in a little water for a few days - you should get lots of creatures. It would be best to use rainwater, such as some from your disappointing sample.

You could try looking at the mosquito larvae - if they wriggle too much, give them a drop of sore throat anaesthetic spray - a little lidocaine paralyses them a treat.

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.
Cyclops

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with some Lidocaine for my sore throat!

Philodina! I remember drawing that thru my scope years ago!

Hey I wonder what I'm likely to find in my compost bin?
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Graham. About a pint of water from the tub in a glass jar and then add some dried crushed leaves to it. Shouldn't be more than a couple of days and you should have a jar full of beasties. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: