B & L fiber optic/ flash setup

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Eric,

The OLYMPUS CLE-F10 with Flash that I saw on eBay was USD $275.00; so at that price I thought it might be worth considering.

Eric wrote:
I would predict one problem: high maintenance cost.
Yep - most definitely.

Thankyou for sharing your experiences and insight.

I'm interested in the solid core fibre optic cables mentioned in my previous post. I've made initial contact with 'Poly Optics' (http://www.fiberopticlight.com/fibreopt ... optic.html) and hope to have more information made available early next week.

I would like to have two separate configerations: one for on-camera use with a speedlight, and a second arrangement, with the addition/integration of LED modeling/focusing capabilities for use with a tabletop setup.

Some concerns: acceptable flexibility, as Andrew mentioned.

Additional technical information here: (the "Mechanical Characteristics" and "Optical Characteristics" on Page 3 of the PDF, seem to indicate applicable possibilities; but I only have a vague idea of what the details listed actually mean :? )
http://www.fiberopticlight.com/brochure ... c_tech.pdf

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Eric F

b & L fiber optic/ flash setup

Post by Eric F »

Craig,

I didn't realize that those cables were solid in your previous post; interesting -- might do very well where limited bending is needed. I also failed to note your recent post of last Nov. 12 <http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... m&start=15> where you illustrate a dual head fiber optic cable. That setup seems ideal (especially if an LED is used for the modeling light -- for reliability & low maintenance). What about casting (with clear acrylic plastic) a Y- shaped connector for the 'sheathed cables' part of your setup? The Speedlight side would have a broad, rectangular shape on one end, then taper to a smaller, round shape -- for one arm of the Y; the other arm would be cylindrical (shaped to fit the LED light source) and merge to form a stem that ends at the junction with the flexible light guides (always keeping <30 degrees taper). For the Schott FO light guide I have, the junction would have to be about 1cm wide. I've never molded acrylic before but it seems reasonably doable. Once the acrylic light conduit is fabricated, then it would be painted, then covered -- for strengthening/ protection. The junction points possibly would not need special fasteners -- just placed against one another -- hopefully efficient enough (though not sure about heat from the Speedlight).

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a properly tapered plastic bottle (or possibly will fabricate a cone) to improve my little B & L FO attachment to one head of the Macro Twin Light.

Eric
Last edited by Eric F on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'm looking for a properly tapered plastic bottle
Well I'm not going to give you Mrs Ballcock's number :twisted:

I'd try a lens with a large entrance pupil to see how much better it made things than just putting the fiber up against the flash head.
Either with a flash meter, or your SLR and a piece of card with a hole in it the size you want, you could measure the light coming through.

Eric F

b & L fiber optic/ flash setup

Post by Eric F »

Well I'm not going to give you Mrs Ballcock's number
Rats!!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

This video on YouTube highlights some details that need to be considered when dealing with light and delivery 'tubes'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiYOw5NsoKY

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Eric F

B & L fiber optic/ flash setup

Post by Eric F »

I've been experimenting a bit with the B & L setup lately and wanted to share some results (both good & bad!). Bad was the 'snoot' I made with shiny aluminum (see first image). Though ugly -- held together by 'Gorilla Tape' -- it was actually quite clean and very shiny on the inside. (Originally, it had the base of the first plastic 'flash' bottle top taped onto the broad end and the tip hot-glued to the narrow end; both were removed prior to this photo.) No matter, it did not work nearly as well as my original design (about 2 stops less light delivered through the light guides). I found another plastic bottle top to use, with a nice (though short) taper -- shown in the second image. I mounted the fiber light guides onto a 49-72mm adapter ring, which fits on the 49mm filter thread near the tip of the Zuiko 20mm, f/2 lens; I have been using this lens a lot lately and like it. It has an 18mm working distance, so the light must be focused at that distance. I had already put on a short 'flare shield' (plastic tube painted black) on the Zuiko, so I tried gluing 1/2 of a ping-pong ball on that as a diffuser (shades of Charles, Rik & others!). The 18mm working distance coincides with the bottom edge of the ppb diffuser. This setup has worked well for me (a robber fly image result was posted here <http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=7218> yesterday). The current setup with the Zuiko mounted on an Olympus Auto Tube on the Canon 40D is shown in the 3rd image.

Bad snoot

Good fiber optic setup on Zuiko

Zuiko with fiber optic setup on stand

Eric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic