www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Maple flower: anther with pollen
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Maple flower: anther with pollen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Maple flower: anther with pollen Reply with quote

This is another maple flower, like the one shown HERE and (much closer) HERE.

What's different about the current flower is that the anther is starting to spill its pollen.

I'm unclear about exactly how this tree is pollinated. At http://www.aboutmapletrees.com/, I read that
Quote:
The trees are self-pollinating, and some of the clusters of flowers are even able to pollinate themselves. The most common form of pollination comes from the wind, but flies and other insects will occasionally cause cross-pollination.

The large stigmas of these flowers seems consistent with wind pollination, but somehow this pollen doesn't seem like the sort of stuff that's going to blow around very easily.

Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised, though, that things seem a bit confused. If I recall correctly, one of the features that made this particular tree attractive as a yard planting was that it does not produce large numbers of fertile seeds. Where the infertility comes from, I don't know. Perhaps another member does?

Hope you enjoy the pictures. These flowers look so "blah" from a distance, you'd never guess that they look like this up close!

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D with Nikon CF N Plan Achro 10X NA 0.30 objective at 10X. Electronic flash, 105 frames in 0.025" (0.00025" average step). Subject size as shown, about 1.5 mm square.
Bruce Williams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fascinating glimpse at the secret life of flowers Rik and yes, the pollen does look more like the sticky variety doesn't it. Have you had a look at the pollen grains under a microscope?

Lovely vibrant colours.

Bruce Smile
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bruce!

No, I've not looked at the pollen at any higher magnification yet.

Yes, the color of these things is amazing. It's more than a bit surreal to put one under a magnifying glass and shine a light on it. Shocked

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: