Which one?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Which one?

Post by DaveW »

I was thinking of getting around to downloading Combine Z, but which version do I really need? I found these on their site to download:-

"Full Versions CombineZM.msi and Combinez-m.msi 18th of April 2008"

As I want to keep things simple and not do complex stacks do I need the full version with all the "bells and whistles", and what are the disadvantages if any of the cut down version?

Also are these versions suitable for Vista Home Premium?

DaveW

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Dave,

You want CombineZP. Download from this page ("CombineZP Package". OK with Vista):

http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... lation.htm

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Many Thanks Charles.

DaveW

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Got a problem! I had a go but I am still on dial-up and just after I started MacAfee decided to do an automatic virus update at the same time. Anyway after they finished I tried to install Combine Z and got this message:-

When I tried to download Combine Z again from Charles site my computer just goes into the install mode once again and throws up the same error message. I cannot find the previously downloaded file to delete it and start again though. It is not listed in "Programs & Features" in Control Panel so I can delete it.

If I can't find it I may have to use System Restore. Any ideas?

DaveW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I don't have Vista, but...

Try flushing your browser caches.

Then when you click on the "CombineZP Package" link to do the download, select the Save option instead of Run. That will let you put the .msi file in some known location, instead of trying to do an installation on the fly.

I recommend changing the name to keep track of the download date or version number also. Otherwise they all come down as just CombineZP.msi.

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Thanks Rik,

Luckily Vista System Restore had made a restore point just prior to loading CombineZ when I looked, so I just used System Restore to take the computer back to just before the download and hopefully get rid of it. I will try and re-install tomorrow when I get chance.

DaveW

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I used System Restore but still cannot get rid of it! I cannot find the file concerned either. Every time I click on the download in Charles link now instead of a fresh download up comes the Installer, which runs until it throws up the error message above.

I contacted Alan Hadley, but he says he does not know Vista and his suggestions did not work either. Anybody got any ideas as to where I can find this file in order to delete it to start clean?

Going into Programs and using Uninstall will not work since as it has not installed it is not listed. I don't even know the file name I am looking for and I cannot find it in any downloads files I can find. I have searched for all variations of Combine and Z but to no avail.

DaveW

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Dave,

I don't know how Vista's search works, but if it's similar ot XP, try this...

Search for all msi files (*.msi). Go into "Advanced options" and check the box to search hidden files and folders. You can also set the advanced option to put in the dates you tried to download the program.

Tardigrade37

Post by Tardigrade37 »

Hi Dave,
I had to really dig into my brain to remember this, but I have a utility used by National Instruments called MSIBlast that is used to remove installer files. I have uploaded it here. Download, unzip, and run it. Click the circle for "Show All Installers" and find the appropriate MSI file. Click uninstall. I would then recommend restarting before attempting the new install. Good luck!
Chris

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Some more thoughts...

- Try searching for the cabinet file named in the diagnostic: _AD7A585F0B1830D9BFC3F242D85FFCA8

- It's always possible that the problem is not due to a previously loaded file but that the installer really does have some glitch that's diagnosed by Vista and not by XP.

- Check with the CombineZ group at Yahoo, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/combinez/ . Yahoo's search facility seems to be broken at the moment -- every search term I try is not found, including "CombineZP". But if nothing else you might join up and ask the membership if anybody else is having problems (or success!) with the latest build on Vista.

- You mention that "every time I click on the ... link ... up comes the Installer". If you're not getting a save-or-execute dialog, then apparently your machine is set to do automatic installation of .msi files. That strikes me as dangerous, independent of any problems with CombineZP. It's a classic malware trick to post out a web page that says "click here!" to do some apparently innocuous thing, but what really happens is that the link tries to load software onto your machine. It sounds to me like your browser is set up to help out the bad guys. Is it really true that the installer launches without giving you the option to save the download? If so, which browser are you using?

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I am using Internet Explorer. I just received this e-mail from Alan Hadley:-

"David there may not be a faulty file on your PC, the installer might be
looking for it on the Internet, because the whole package has not been
downloaded it cannot be found. That's why it would be best to download the whole thing and then try installing it locally"

Trouble is I can't download it from Charles's link anymore because when I click on it the Installer pops up on my machine, not the download starting again.

The original installation did seem to stop about three quarters through the time the "thermometer" type download scale indicated and then the Installer popped up asking me to install the program. So whether it only part loaded and that's the trouble I don't know.

I am not a computer geek, so mess around with my machine as little as I have to and am always reluctant to poke into it's innards in case I upset something.

Thanks for the other suggestions I will try them when I get time.

DaveW

Tardigrade37

Post by Tardigrade37 »

Dave, when you right click on the link to download it and select "save file as" or "save target as", does it try to install then? If not, save it to the desktop and launch it from there.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Dave,

If you still cannot download it, pm me your email and I'll send you a copy of the most recent installer package I used...

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Thanks everybody. The problem seems to be down to loosing connection with my ISP (Tiscali) or their software Accelerator tripping out even when I am still connected, since I am still on dial up.

Alan Hadley sent me links and instructions the same as Tardigrade's "Save Target As", which worked and it then told me Combine Z was already installed on the computer and did I want to replace it? I clicked "Yes" and the download started again, but it also put the download in my "Downloads" folder so I can now find and delete it.

Alan's e-mail link seems to work, but It dropped out at 35% downloaded (it's a 50 minute download for me). I am having trouble with my Tiscali connection and any download that doesn't resume from where it left off on reconnection I cannot download.

I had the same trouble with my MacAfee anti-virus when I had to re-install it from their web site. I tried a utility that continued any interrupted download, but took it off again because the downloads were usually corrupted.

Some other software will simply continue downloading from where it left off if the connection is broken and then re-connected again, but some starts at the beginning again, only to be cut off part way again when my connection cuts out as usual.

I am going on broadband and changing my ISP soon since I am fed up with Tiscali and things keeping tripping out, if not the connection then their software Accelerator, even if still I am connected. I will then try and download the software again.

When I found the partly downloaded software in the Downloads folder and clicked on it, instead of continuing to download the installer came up and eventually brought up the "Cabinet File Corrupted" message again, so it seems this message is triggered when you try and install a download that did not finish.

Incidentally if I right click on the partially uploaded file in the "Downloads" folder and use "Uninstall", I get a message Uninstall cannot uninstall it as it is not installed, which is why it did not show up in the "Programs" file previously. You just have to click on it and use "Delete", which sends it to the Trash Bin and then clear that.

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions, hopefully in a week or so I will be on broadband with a new ISP and can download. Alan Hadley was very helpful if you ever get a problem with CombineZ, as you all have been. Many thanks.

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic