Twig and Lichen Deep Zoom

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Twig and Lichen Deep Zoom

Post by elf »

Here's a little (900 image) focus stacked macro panorama of lichens on a twig. It was stitched with Microsoft ICE and is a 4x4 matrix and is around 80 megapixels. It's in Deep Zoom format and requires Silverlight 2 to run (Sorry Mac users).

The twig is 2.6mm in diameter and 46mm long.
http://www.efrench.members.winisp.net/t ... ichen.html

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks great -- even runs under FireFox. :smt023

Is this shot with your rotate-around-the-entrance-pupil macro head?

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

rjlittlefield wrote:Looks great -- even runs under FireFox. :smt023

Is this shot with your rotate-around-the-entrance-pupil macro head?

--Rik
Well, more accurately, my super macro to infinity spherical and orthogonic panorama and lenticular head with geared movements :lol:

Yes, it was shot by rotating around the entrance pupil. This type of image was what led me to add the bellows to the spherical pano head. It allows the lens to remain fixed while the focus point changes. There is no parallax errors between frames. Well, I should say the amount of parallax error is so small that it doesn't matter.

The lens was the El-Nikkor 50mm 2.0 reversed at f/5.6

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

elf,

An ambitious project and spectacular result!

That's a beautiful twig. The black backdrop and lighting reveal the lichen landscape wonderfully.:shock:

Ott-Lite?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

"Deep zoom" - any reason why you used this instead of Zoomify ?

http://www.zoomify.com/express.htm[/url]

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Ah cant view that on my phone using Opera.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

elf

Post by elf »

Craig: Thanks and yes, the Ott-Lite was used.

Andrew: I've used Zoomify in the past, but the file sizes were way to large to post. I only had room for one from my Internet provider. This Deep Zoom is only using about 7mb of space. The second reason is ICE is my panorama stitcher of choice. It can handle 95% of the stitching I do. When it can't do a stitch, I'll use PTAssembler.

Cyclops: A good reason to use IE :lol: Hopefully Silverlight will support more platforms in the future.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:

Cyclops: A good reason to use IE :lol: Hopefully Silverlight will support more platforms in the future.

Ah the laptop uses IE but my phone either uses its own browser or OperaMini which I downloaded for it because the phone's internal browser is incredibly slow.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

elf wrote: Andrew: I've used Zoomify in the past, but the file sizes were way to large to post. I only had room for one from my Internet provider. This Deep Zoom is only using about 7mb of space. .
So for the same size source, Deep Zoom has much smaller output ? I looked at it a few months ago but it seemed really clunky to use (with zoomify you just drag the original onto a zoomify icon and away it goes). Has Deep Zoom got easier to use ?

Andrew

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Rik wrote:
Looks great -- even runs under FireFox.
I would like to look at it, but all I see is a pitch-black window under Firefox :(.
Does it need any extra software/add-ons? :?

--Betty

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Planapo wrote: I would like to look at it, but all I see is a pitch-black window under Firefox :(.
Does it need any extra software/add-ons? :?

--Betty
Yes, you have to install the Silverlight viewer. See http://www.microsoft.com/Silverlight/ .

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks Rik!

When go to the site you gave the link to and further click "Installieren" (I am automatically forwarded to a German language version of this site), I get the message that the needed Version Silverlight 1 GDR 3 (1.0.30401.0) is already installed.
Nonetheless, still only a pitch-black window opens when I click the link to elf's photo. :?

--Betty

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hmm, Silverlight 2 is what you need. Apparently you already have Silverlight 1 installed, and the installer is willing to say "Good enough!". When I tested the link, it said that Silverlight 2 was installed, so I assumed that all was well. Perhaps a search on "Silverlight 2" will find a more hardcore installer.

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Ahh, now with Silverlight 2 it works!
Cool! :D

Thanks again, Rik! :smt023

elf wrote:
Here's a little (900 image) focus stacked macro panorama
:smt103 Jeez, how long did it take you to finish this one? And what would you call big then?

--Betty

elf

Post by elf »

Planapo wrote:Jeez, how long did it take you to finish this one? And what would you call big then?
This is only 16 frames, medium is 30 to 60, large is >100 :)

Andrew: Deep Zooms can be created from the command line using the HDMake utility:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... HDMake.htm

hdmake –src <source image> –xmldeepzoom <output file name>.xml

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic