pyrgotidae fly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Michael Durham

pyrgotidae fly

Post by Michael Durham »

Fascinating life history of this parasitic fly. They will chase down and implant an egg in a june beetle, while in flight.

Photographed at 1/50,000th of a second while flying.

42 image stack portrait.

Michael Durham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Awesome work!

I don't suppose you happen to have links to larger versions of these? "(Huh, huh, pretty please??)''

--Rik

Michael Durham

Post by Michael Durham »

Larger files

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/338 ... 33c5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/338 ... 30c0_o.jpg

I would post larger, but they would violate the posting guidelines.

MD
Michael Durham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Many thanks -- the images look even better bigger!

You're right about the posting guidelines. We set those so that most people can see most images in their entirety without awkward scrolling. It's one of the tradeoffs involved in supporting a diverse community.

Getting back to the images and subjects shown here...

Can you share some more info about what was involved in catching that parasite in flight? Was that a wild subject? How did you know when and where it was going to be, to set up for it?

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Pretty neat! How did you capture the first one? Light beam trigger?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Michael Durham

Post by Michael Durham »

The first shot was taken with a laser trigger, custom built shutter, high-speed flash, etc

The technique for flight varies from subject to subject, but it has taken years of refinement to get to where I am with the gear and technique. Nonetheless, it can take some time to figure out how t coax an insect into flying through a narrow target area.

I just spent three days on tiger beetles. The little devils were ready fliers, but they refused to do so after setting up the gear. On day three, I finally figured out how to get them into the air. It really is a new challenge every time.
Michael Durham

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Michael, love all your photos (which I came across a couple of years ago while looking for tips about photographing bats!!).

What's your camera -for the fly- and what is the custom made shutter?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Michael Durham wrote:I just spent three days on tiger beetles. The little devils were ready fliers, but they refused to do so after setting up the gear.
Just as adult ladybird beetles won't eat aphids in front of a camera.
:roll:

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Wow!

How on earth do you get enough light onto the subject in 1/50000th of a second? (It occurs to me that with enough flashes to do that, perhaps that's how you caught the subject to stack it, it was stunned by the flash!?) ;)

That in flight shot is /wonderful/! Stunning technique... In comparison I'd say the lighting (or possibly PP) is a little harsh on the stack but still a great shot!

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Jaw dropping work Michael - hope to read more about equipment and technique.

Bruce :)

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hallo Michael,

your photographs are fascinating! The fly make me think on an other planet - mars o elswhere?)

Franz

Michael Durham

Post by Michael Durham »

The high-speed technique is complex and requires lots of gear (not unlike micro work!). I'm currently shooting in Texas, and had to ship 400 lb of gear in advance for shooting.

Most of what I learned, I picked up from reading Stephen Dalton's early books. Specifically "Borne On The Wind" and "Caught In Motion: High-Speed Nature Photography". Little did I realize how challenging it would be on so many levels.

It has been worth it however, because the results are often fascinating.

In answer to earlier questions: The high-speed shutter was built by Unilblitz in Rochester, NY. The flash units are completely custom, and I built them in my workshop with the generous help of Max Harleson, an engineer from Intel. The special laser was built by Bill Forbes at www.Phototrap.com.

The equipment is about 1/8th the whole story, and the rest requires a variety of skills from networking with researchers and scientists, to figuring out how to convince a bee to fly through a relatively tiny focal point.

A book would be required to explain it all (hint, hint: See Stephen Dalton above)

MD
Michael Durham

Michael Durham

Post by Michael Durham »

lauriek wrote:That in flight shot is /wonderful/! Stunning technique... In comparison I'd say the lighting (or possibly PP) is a little harsh on the stack but still a great shot!
Thanks Laurie. I agree with you about the stack - I'm still learning how to light at this small scale.

MD
Michael Durham

MisterMcCruff

Post by MisterMcCruff »

That first image is absolutely breathtaking.
Wonderful work on your websites.
Cameras: Gripped 30D, Canon EOS-33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" shoot through brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic