www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - A Sign of Autumn 1 8 50 and 125X
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A Sign of Autumn 1 8 50 and 125X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclops

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: A Sign of Autumn 1 8 50 and 125X Reply with quote

Outside our house is a large Norway maple, and this time of year we get not only tons of leaves but we also get loads of the little helicopter seeds(Achenes, I think its technically a nut)

So I thought I'd bring one in and photograph it at different magnifications.

Heres the paired achene as we normally see it:

Next through an 8X loupe:

Moving to the scope at 50X:

and finally 125X

I could probably have gone to the bnext stage 400X but these things are quite thick and lighting would be an issue!
beetleman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember as a kid, we would take green ones and open them up and stick them on our nose. I also remember tasting one and it sorta tasted like an acorn. (I am sure everyone has tasted an acorn as a kid...come on now) Very Happy Also grabbing handfulls and throwing them up in the air.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Doug, didn't you have any toys when you were growing up? Did you taste them before or after putting them on your nose? If after... are you sure those green things were indeed the seeds!? Laughing All I see here are RED X's Confused
Cyclops

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleman wrote:
I remember as a kid, we would take green ones and open them up and stick them on our nose. I also remember tasting one and it sorta tasted like an acorn. (I am sure everyone has tasted an acorn as a kid...come on now) Very Happy Also grabbing handfulls and throwing them up in the air.

Well, I did the throwing up in the air bit, not sure about tasting!
And arent acorns poisonous? Shocked
Cyclops

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: try my website Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
... are you sure those green things were indeed the seeds!? Laughing All I see here are RED X's Confused

Ken, I moved the pics into their own folder as it was getting a bit messy on photobucket, try refreshing the page(control and refresh)
Also I put them on my website, which makes things easier!

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/numanoid27/photoalbum20.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: