Still more Sunset Moth!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Still more Sunset Moth!

Post by Charles Krebs »

Well, it's Laurie's fault :wink: .... whenever I see pictures of these I just want to get out my specimens and take a few more.

Top image is moderate crop from a 5X (microscope objective) shot. Lower two were with the 20X Nikon CF M Plan. Half a "whiffle-ball" was used as a diffuser for the top shot. Half a ping-pond ball was used as a diffuser for the lower two.

Although the highly iridescent, multicolored scales attract the most attention, there are many gorgeous areas on these wings that do not show this phenomenon. The center image is taken along an edge of the wing.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Beautiful shots MrK!(that Laurie has a lot to answer for ;))
Now,whats a whiffle ball?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Stunning!

They always go down very well! :)

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I had to google Sunset Moth as I'd never heard of it. Very colourful creature,looks somewhat like a Swallowtail Butterfly!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Larry,
It's a white plastic baseball that has holes on one hemisphere and is solid on the other:
http://mdwiffle.net/2008/10/25/welcome- ... ffle-ball/

With some subjects, a really diffuse light works well to help avoid "hot spots", so I use a translucent hemisphere with a hole cut into it for the lens. You can see one used here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=2825

The light is directed through the translucent hemisphere and the iridescent wing scales really show their colors!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Cyclops wrote:Beautiful shots MrK!(that Laurie has a lot to answer for ;))
Now,whats a whiffle ball?[/quote]

Plastic, baseball size balls, that have holes in them. So that when you hit them, they do not travel as far nor do they hurt you if you get hit by one. Haven't seen one in years though.

Great shots here Charlie. :D I need to visit over here more often and take in some of the color. Winter is or has been getting me down. :wink:

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Beautiful Charlie! (And just when I thought I was getting close! ;) )

Out of interest have you tried this specimen with your vertical illuminator setup, if not I reckon it would be worth trying!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Charles Krebs wrote:Larry,
It's a white plastic baseball that has holes on one hemisphere and is solid on the other:
http://mdwiffle.net/2008/10/25/welcome- ... ffle-ball/

!
my god theres a whole society devoted to these things!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

My wife is a technician in the physics department of a tertiary college where sports studies are taking over. There are whole careers based on knowing how a ball will bounce! :roll:

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic