Sunset moth tail.

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Sunset moth tail.

Post by Charles Krebs »

The top two images are of one of the "tails". As can be seen these scales are quite different than the ones Laurie and I have recently posted. When you look over one of these moths carefully, the variety of scales is stunning to see.

Just for a sense of the size... the middle image covers a field area of about .037 x .025 inch (0.95 x 0.76mm). It was photographed at a magnification of 25X on sensor.

The bottom image was from a small patch of "dappled" green on one of the less colorful front wings. I was struck by the odd mix and arrangement of the scales.

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Wonderfull!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Fabulous. That last one looks so man made!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyclops wrote:That last one looks so man made!
Meanwhile the nanomaterial folks are saying "Wow, that looks so organic! Wouldn't it be great if we could make things that complex?!" :wink:

Awesome work, Charlie -- you do magic with forms and colors!

--Rik

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

They are beautiful.

For some reason I prefer the first two... perhaps because they seem more peaceful... if that makes any sense at all!! :D

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Lovely!

Only slightly miffed, I've been meaning to shoot that white edging! ;)

And I'll be on the lookout for that section in shot 3!
When you look over one of these moths carefully, the variety of scales is stunning to see.
Definitely. If you have a macro studio you owe it to yourself to get one of these!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic