www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Ice drops (photo added)
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ice drops (photo added)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Ice drops (photo added) Reply with quote

Strange weather yesterday. It hailed, then the hail sort of melted, then it froze again overnight, now it's melting again. This is the result.

Even the "hail" wasn't normal. It was sort of like compressed snowballs, shaped like miniature Hershey's Kisses candies.

Field width as shown here about 2 inches, DOF about 5 inches.

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D camera, Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 macro lens at f/11. ISO 100, 1/50 second. Stack of 14 images. Cropped to about 1/2 frame width to show detail.

Edited: To change title for second photo.

Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know about such things but I might guess that the water may have froze at a much lower altitude on its way down, instead of freezing higher up. Beginning as drops of water but then freezing into the Hersheys Kisses looking drops somewhere along the way down. Wouldn't it be neat if it did hail real Hersheys Kisses, especailly those with almonds! Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Aynia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like something you'd put on cake, biscuits etc.. they look sugary and edible! Very Happy
Very interesting.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Ken and Aynia. Very Happy

It's now almost two days later, and there's still some of these "hail kisses" lying on the ground in the shade. Strange weather.

(Ah, that's what they always say! The really strange weather is when it's "completely normal". Laughing )

--Rik
Cyberspider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice finding Rik. I like this tone in tone. I think the weather is getting stranger in the future.

The ice drops look like people from the back sitting in front of a screen ;-)

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr
Cyclops

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange Rik! almost looks like something man made from a distance!
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Cyberspider, the color is just the way it looked. The OOF background is the main part of the deck. The ice is on a railing. It is all the same color. There was lots of this same ice all over the deck, but the railing was much easier to photograph! Smile

Here is the full frame width. The macro lens was set on about 1:4, so about 90 mm along the railing. This photo is taken from a very low angle. The piece of railing shown in this picture is actually almost square.

--Rik

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: