A different Moss

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

A different Moss

Post by lauriek »

I couldn't wait, I left work a bit early today and grabbed some moss from the garden...

It's obviously a different species to the one Rik posted recently, with differently shaped leaves and a different colour (Well I know nothing about mosses, so I suppose it could be a similar species just in a different condition or state!)

Shot with Nikon CF plan 10x objective (at a tad less than 10:1 I think) on a 4/3 sensor.

So far I prefer Rik's(!) so I'm going to have to go crawling around in the woods looking for more mosses at the weekend! :)

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Here's another shot of the same moss plant, I've enhanced the contrast a bit on this one to try to bring out some more detail.

I think it's safe to say this is a different species to Rik's moss as the shape of the 'cells' in the leaves are completely different, quite round in Rik's and very long and thin in this moss..

_Another_thing_ to get a book on! :)

(68 images in stack, shot with the usual setup, Nikon 10x CF objective)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice images! :D

Yes, very definitely looks to be a different kind.

If you find a good book, let me know. I know close to nothing about mosses, and I have no good references.

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Rik!

I will let you know if I find any good books...

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

rjlittlefield wrote: If you find a good book, let me know. I know close to nothing about mosses, and I have no good references.
I'm no expert but a starting point might be:

Roger Phillips: Grasses, Ferns, Mosses and Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland, Pan Books ISBN 0 330 25959 8.

As with all books in the series, almost every species is illustrated with a high quality photograph. However, he acknowledges that only a portion of the last two groups could be included.

NB Liverworts and scaleworts are included in the section on mosses.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic