Mounting Nikon EL lens on OM bellows

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Mounting Nikon EL lens on OM bellows

Post by lauriek »

Any advice on this subject? I just added a nice little Nikon EL 50/2.8 to the lens collection, and I want to mount it on an OM bellows (The front of which allows reversing by taking off the whole bellows front and reversing that) - so I think I need an OM->39mm adapter. I searched ebay and didn't come up with anything, should I be looking at a two stage solution like OM-Tmount, Tmount->39mm?

And am I right in my basic assumption that it's a 39mm thread, it looks more like 37-38mm when put on top of a measure, but its quite hard to judge! The lens is in a Nikon CP-2 container if that helps!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Laurie,

The rear thread on that El-Nikkor is a 39mm Leica thread. The filter thread is 40.5mm.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks for the clarification Craig.

Is there a suggestion that an OM reverse adapter and step ring would be the best bet? (I only just got the lens today and hadn't even noticed there was a filter thread!)

I suppose it could be more convenient than removing the front of the bellows each time I swap lenses - Most of the other lenses I use are scope objectives and so mount front ways with the OM-RMS adapter.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

The experts on this site recommend that this lens be used in reverse. Thus you need a ring that has a 40.5mm male thread on one end.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Laurie wrote:
Is there a suggestion that an OM reverse adapter and step ring would be the best bet?

Yes. I use a Nikon reverse mount adapter for attaching the EL-Nikkor to a Nikon bellows. The BR2A reverse mount adapter has a Nikon mount on one side and a male 52mm thread on the other. I use a 40.5mm step ring that has a female 52mm thread on one side (which connects to the reverse mount adapter) and a male 40.5mm on the other (which connects to the filter thread of the 50/2.8 EL Nikkor)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks guys!

I found a decent looking OM reverse adapter to 49mm thread, which I've ordered, and a 49-40.5 step ring, though that's in the US so I will pop in my local camera store tomorrow and see if they have one (I don't suppose they will but it's worth a shot).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic