a ciliate with symbiotic algae

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

a ciliate with symbiotic algae

Post by Franz Neidl »

It was a rather hungry (seawater) protozoon. You see the diatoms, different algae ecc. But in addition I observed also symbiotic algae - especially on the surface of the ciliate.
Can you help me with the identification?

Thank you
Franz

Martin Kreutz

Post by Martin Kreutz »

Hi Franz,

I can't believe it! Your ciliate is definitively Frontonia fusca! Only two verifications of this species in the last 100 years. The first one from Kahl 1931 (s. Kahl, p. 321). The second one is just from 2008 and described in an article from Sergei I. Fokin published in Denisia 23, the so called "Festschrift" for Wilhelm Foissner. Interestingly Fokin found the neotype population in Italy, near Naples, the Naples Zoological Station "Anton Dohrn". The description of Fokin is detailed. Your ciliate, so far I can recognize it on your images, matchs all features of Frontonia fusca. Very conspicuous is the dark green spot of granules at the right side of the anterior end. Because the knowledge of this ciliate is very poor I recommend you to send your finding to Prof. Fokin directly if you like:

sifokin@biologia.unipi.it

If possible try to get images at higher magnification from the CV's (there must be two of it), from the Ma + Mi and from the mouth opening.

Best wishes

Martin

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hallo Martin,
your answer was really a big surprise for me. Certainly I will wright to Sergei I. Fokin. I found this ciliate already two times. It always had a green spot.
I only have pictures made with a 40x Objective. A biger Nikon-objektiv for DIC and infinity optic (60x or 100x) is clearly to expensive for me and exceed my financial possibilities.
Viele Grüße
Franz

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Congratulations on the find there Franz :smt023 , a feather in your cap for sure! :D

Martin Kreutz

Post by Martin Kreutz »

Hi Franz,

I've read your post about F. fusca again. I wonder if your scale in the first image is correct. According the 10 µm bar the ciliate is only 20 µm long. Where did you recognize the symbiotic algae? If you talk about the green spherules beneath the pellicle I have the feeling that this are scattered droplets of the green spot at the anterior end. Please check your private messages!

Thanks

Martin

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hallo Martin,

probably my scale bar is not right. I too was doubting about it today, because i made it with a computerprogram with wich I am not very familiar. I will misure the ciliate again.
Today I found this protozoon on an other place. I send two pictures I made today.

Franz

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hallo Martin,

today i misured the ciliate again (without computer!). It was 175 mµ long.
Sorry about the scale bar!

Franz

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Excellent micrographs, Franz!

Jim

Martin Kreutz

Post by Martin Kreutz »

Hi Franz,

thanks for the update. On the image below you can recognize clearly, that the dark green spot ist actually located to the right side of the anterior end. The new measurement matches the data of Fokin (100 - 170 µm) perfectly.

I would like to send you the article of Fokin. I left you a message for this purpose.

Martin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic