An Unusual Thing Happened Here...

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

An Unusual Thing Happened Here...

Post by Ken Ramos »

at least it was unusaul for me. While prowling a rather large sample of moss that was pried from a chunk of rotting wood. I focused on this Sporangium. The operculum had long since detached itself from the specimen and only the peristome remained. However, what caught my eye was a bit of movement. I assumed that one of my micro insects that I normally run across in or among the delicate strands of moss, was the reason for the movement the was inside of the sporangium. So I cranked up the power on the scope a little bit and to my surprise the peristome was opening and closing at approximately the rate of once every second or a fraction thereof. I have never seen a plant of any kind do this with the exception of those videos taken under time lapse photography. To bad this is a still image, it was amazing to observe. :)

Sporangium of moss showing peristome and sporgenous tissue
Meiji EMZ-13TR w/Sony DSC-W5

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

This sounds like a scientific mystery to me Ken. Maybe you could have dissected the Sporangium to see if anything was inside. Very strange :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well maybe I could have if I had the tools to do micro-surgery with. It was quite fascinating to watch and a bit eerie too. Never seen anything like that before in a plant. :roll: Thanks Doug! :D

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Interesting! Could it have been becasue of the heat of a lamp you use? Doesn't a change in humidity trigger the release of the spores? There could be some sort of mechanism in the sporangium that reacts on temperature/humidity. Just a guess. :)

Wim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I considered that Wim and you could be right. :) If spores were being released I would not have seen them with a stereomicroscope of course. Considering heat and humidity, I was thinking that if that were the case, wouldn't the sporangiums peristome just have opened and remained open, instead of opening and closing in a cyclic pattern. Quite an odd occurance and I would not know where to begin to search for information on such an event. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic