www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - An Unusual Thing Happened Here...
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
An Unusual Thing Happened Here...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: An Unusual Thing Happened Here... Reply with quote

at least it was unusaul for me. While prowling a rather large sample of moss that was pried from a chunk of rotting wood. I focused on this Sporangium. The operculum had long since detached itself from the specimen and only the peristome remained. However, what caught my eye was a bit of movement. I assumed that one of my micro insects that I normally run across in or among the delicate strands of moss, was the reason for the movement the was inside of the sporangium. So I cranked up the power on the scope a little bit and to my surprise the peristome was opening and closing at approximately the rate of once every second or a fraction thereof. I have never seen a plant of any kind do this with the exception of those videos taken under time lapse photography. To bad this is a still image, it was amazing to observe. Smile

Sporangium of moss showing peristome and sporgenous tissue
Meiji EMZ-13TR w/Sony DSC-W5
beetleman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a scientific mystery to me Ken. Maybe you could have dissected the Sporangium to see if anything was inside. Very strange Shocked
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I could have if I had the tools to do micro-surgery with. It was quite fascinating to watch and a bit eerie too. Never seen anything like that before in a plant. Rolling Eyes Thanks Doug! Very Happy
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Could it have been becasue of the heat of a lamp you use? Doesn't a change in humidity trigger the release of the spores? There could be some sort of mechanism in the sporangium that reacts on temperature/humidity. Just a guess. Smile

Wim
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I considered that Wim and you could be right. Smile If spores were being released I would not have seen them with a stereomicroscope of course. Considering heat and humidity, I was thinking that if that were the case, wouldn't the sporangiums peristome just have opened and remained open, instead of opening and closing in a cyclic pattern. Quite an odd occurance and I would not know where to begin to search for information on such an event. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: