My Macro setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

My Macro setup

Post by Cyclops »

Just thought some of you might be wondering how I get my simple shots and may be curious about the lighting arrangements.
Well....
Sometimess I may drape a thin tissue over the phone to diffuse the light a little but it does knock a lot of the light out!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, I have wondered a little bit about that technique of "using a cell phone as a light".

This makes it quite clear --- assuming of course that the yellow block with the light coming out of it is a cell phone! :D

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Hmm. A practical use for a cell phone at last! :)

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

elf

Post by elf »

Have you considered replacing your cell phone with a snoot? You would have a lot more control over the light.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote:Well, I have wondered a little bit about that technique of "using a cell phone as a light".

This makes it quite clear --- assuming of course that the yellow block with the light coming out of it is a cell phone! :D

--Rik
Indeed it is. This is the phone in question,a Sony Ericsson W800i. It no longer gets used as a phone as the joy nub is fudged,a weakness with Sony Ericsson phones. They always wear out. But its had a good run! The camera still works on it tho and is still the best camera I've found on a phone. Its the one I used for those pics taken down my microscope.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Tell you what Cyclops, you keep the cellphone and I'll have the Astrophytum asterias as I lost mine a year ago!

DaveW :lol:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

DaveW wrote:Tell you what Cyclops, you keep the cellphone and I'll have the Astrophytum asterias as I lost mine a year ago!

DaveW :lol:
Oh no,its my baby! Tell you what tho if it ever pups I'll send you one!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:Have you considered replacing your cell phone with a snoot? You would have a lot more control over the light.
Do you mean attach a snoot to the phone somehow? Don't they just produce a narrow beam of light tho?

elf

Post by elf »

Cyclops wrote: Do you mean attach a snoot to the phone somehow?
That would be cute, but I think it would work better on the 10D :) You can pipe the light from the pop-up flash to the end of the Vivitar macro lens with no problem.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:
Cyclops wrote: Do you mean attach a snoot to the phone somehow?
That would be cute, but I think it would work better on the 10D :) You can pipe the light from the pop-up flash to the end of the Vivitar macro lens with no problem.
Hmmm not sure how I'd do that. I'm not very handy if you know what i mean

elf

Post by elf »

I made mine with foam core lined with aluminum foil and a piece of plastic from a milk jug. Masking tape was used to hold it together and a rubber band to hold it on the flash. If you use white foam core the aluminum foil isn't necessary.

It only costs a few pennies (or other very small currency) to make, so you can easily experiment with different shapes.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

elf wrote:I made mine with foam core lined with aluminum foil and a piece of plastic from a milk jug. Masking tape was used to hold it together and a rubber band to hold it on the flash. If you use white foam core the aluminum foil isn't necessary.

It only costs a few pennies (or other very small currency) to make, so you can easily experiment with different shapes.

Thats neat. Is the big white panel the piece of the jug?

elf

Post by elf »

Yes, but you could also use tissue paper.

Cyberspider

Post by Cyberspider »

If I have to use a light I'm using one or two LED flashlights (like a maglite not for the camera!) like this:

flashlight left and right of the mushroom

... if I use a camera flash I take the 430EX indirectly over a silver reflector and shut the camera via IR shutter release...

best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic