diatom space craft

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

diatom space craft

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Finally some microscopy images from me.

I have tried stacking. These diatoms form chains and have these thin connections. I added some shadow and lighter areas to make them look less flat. Perhaps I overdid it. It still looks a bit unnatural.

It was photographed with a 25X objective.

Wim

Last edited by Wim van Egmond on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gyrosigma

Post by Gyrosigma »

:shock: Fantastic picture Wim.... I never seen such details in diatoms...
I don't agree with you it seems very natural and amazing

best regards

Dominique

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you Dominique! The sharpness is of course also created by the enhancement of contrast and some sharpening in the computer.

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Great shots Wim (here and in the macro forum as well)! Great to see some new microscope images from you.

It took a little while to wean you off of film, but it appears that you are now fully "hooked" on digital and stacking :wink:

It's almost hard to imagine trying to do certain subjects without access to stacking software.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wim your coming up with some amazing micros! :o Fantastic image here! :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim van Egmond wrote:The sharpness is of course also created by the enhancement of contrast and some sharpening in the computer.
In overall effect, maybe. But the computer will not create detail where there was none was to start. In my book, anything you can do to make the detail visible is fair game, and you have done very well indeed in this image! Lovely! :D

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thanks friends,

Rik, yes, indeed you can't add detail. It is more the contrast enhancement that helps see more details and with some sharpening you can emphasize these details. Also because the images are small on the web you need this sharpening.

Charlie,

I am always a bit late with new technology. I prefered to be a 19th century naturalist but I was born a bit too late. :)

I am still wrestling a bit with the micro digital. It needs more computer adjustments than my slides. But the possibilities are great. I don't think I will use much film :) I was not just conservative. I just needed some time to get it right. I normally switch to another technique or equipment or set up when I am sure that it gives better results:)

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful Detail Wim.....What you do to your pictures, IMO, is very natural. You are just using a form of digital "staining" to enhance the structures of these wonderful creatures. If you know what I mean :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yes, it is always important to keep close to what the organism actually looks like. I try not to overdo the computer manipulations.

Wim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic