A huge bellows that provides rotational freedom

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

A huge bellows that provides rotational freedom

Post by Planapo »

Sometimes when working with a bellows one just wants to rotate the camera that is attached to the bellows but leave the bellows itself in position. With smaller bellows that can be impossible when the rear standard is not in the hindmost position on the rail. Here, I show the East German (former GDR) made Pentacon M42 bellows, a large bellows for 35mm format SLRs that allows for such rotation of the camera body, even if the rear standard is in a forward position. Just a short extension tube has to be mounted as spacer between body and bellows.

The Pentacon M42 is not as elaborately manufactured as the - for a size comparison in the picture shown - Asahi Pentax M42 bellows or, e.g. the Olympus OM bellows. But it´s solidly built, trusty, and can be bought for much less money, and it does the job of a bellows, i.e. functioning as an extendable dark tube.

Both standards are moveable which is an advantage, as I had learned from Master Charles and have meanwhile experienced myself.:D In contrast to the other more expensive bellows the standards of the Pentacon bellows are not moved by gear pinion, instead they are clamped to the upper part of the double dovetail (i. e. X in cross section) rail by knurled screws (which are concealed in the photo below), and unclamped to be slid along the rail by hand.

The distance from the lowest point of the M42 thread to the upper surface of the rail measures 65 mm.
Fully streched the Pentacon bellows delivers a maximum extension of 220 mm.

I thought this information about the Pentacon M42 bellows could be of some use for some of you.

--Betty

Now, let me introduce, accompanied by some appropriate music :wink: :

:smt034 Auferstanden aus Ruinen und der Zukunft zugewandt ...

A snapshot of the huge East German made Pentacon M42 bellows, alongside the Asahi Pentax M42 bellows for a size comparison, both shown from the end
where the camera would be attached.

edited the subject
Last edited by Planapo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Betty,

I have looked at pictures of these on eBay from time to time, primarily because of their height. So I appreciate the side-by-side view with the Pentax bellows.

I don't really mind the non-geared top standards, but is the lower block geared? (looks like it is...)

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Yes Charles, the lower block of this bellows is geared. The rail itself has a toothed rack for that on the underside. The rail with the clamped standards is then secured and loosened with one of the big knurled knobs you can see on both sides of the block and also moved forwards and backwards with these knobs when loosened.

--Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic