Fiber Optics with Flash

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Fiber Optics with Flash

Post by NikonUser »

In an earlier post Craig referenced this system
SEE HERE
for $375.00. Anyone have opions if this will be suitable for, say, 5x mag, and is the price reasonable?
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Obviously, it would seem to offer a substitute for a ringflash.

Technical considerations include sizes of filter screw thread it will fit, possible vignetting on some lenses and coverage at the working distance of the lens.

I would find it more interesting if the fibre optic conduits were operable independantly, essentially as a macro studio lighting set.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It looks from the pictures that this gadget contains no diffusion at all, just bare ends of fiber bundles, approximate diameter 1/8" - 1/4".

I wouldn't consider this a substitute for ringflash, and certainly not a substitute for light tent setups.

It will illuminate the subject from three directions, but what you'll be getting is essentially the sum of three harshly lit pictures.

It'll probably work great for hairy bees and matte flies, not so great for shiny beetles.

--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Ah yes; but look at the concept.

I don't believe the makers are doing anything special; however, the technical beauty is always in the detail.

Visionary Digital are known for the quality of their fittings which may explain the pricing structure? (though in some of their product shots they do use one piece of equipment that shouldn't be there).

A series of diffuser attachments could be designed for this product, by the maker or the end-user.

NU, the amount of light that is delivered via the fiber optic light guides is of significant luminosity - especially at close-range - intense. Having the ability to direct/control the output of individual beams is in my opinion and limited experience - priceless. The item being photographed - no matter the size or scale - then becomes more than just an object to be illuminated and more of a scene that can be lit.

Now, I'm going to go and read this morning's news feed from http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic