Soggy Viper

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Soggy Viper

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

The Temple Viper seems to have just stepped out of the shower! I could do without the numerous flash reflections, but they seem pretty unavoidable when using flash on a wet snake!

1Ds and 180mm macro
flash lighting only
Slightly less than 1x
controlled situation
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I trust there was a layer of freshly Windexed glass twixt you and the Temple Viper? :D

The few little flash highlights suggest almost on axis flash. Did you use polaroids or a quarter wave plate?

In the first Indiana Jones movie when he is face to face with an Egyptian serpent you can see a reflection in the glass window.

Nice photo of a handsome fellow or lady.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I was using two flashes--A shoe mount flash and another flash mounted off to the right on a tripod.

I've read about the technique with polarizing "paper" taped over the flashes and a polarizing filter, but have always assumed it would suck up too much light for my reptile shots (these are through glass at a zoo, and the flashes provide essentially all of my light).

I do have a conventional polarizing filter, and I really ought to give it a try--Most of our displays are behind glass, which (unlike plexiglass as I understand it) shouldn't create any problems for the filter. Thanks for reminding me about this, highlights are a perennial problem for me in these shots!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic