Dungeness crab with CS4

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Dungeness crab with CS4

Post by elf »

This is 43 images stacked with CS4. The focus point was changed using the lens as opposed to moving the camera.

CS4 didn't always select the best in focus pixels. It seems to have the most trouble on the borders, so this is cropped about 25%, which was the size of the closest focused image.

File size was 2gb before flattening. My computer has 3gb of ram and it was only able to blend about 20 images at a time. Dropping this down to 10 images was faster overall.

The subject was quite dead at the time. It was actually an empty shell about 2.5 inches wide.

This image is part of an 8 frame panorama that will take a lot of time and effort to stitch. CS4 didn't do a very good job focus stacking the other frames, but I'll probably be able to put it together manually.

Olympus e330
35mm macro
f/8
1/6 second
Natural light

Full size image here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/ ... rabf4c.jpg

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

elf,

I'm impressed!

This looks fine to me and it is very encouraging to see the results you have achieved.

I am exploring your image and the details you have provided with far more interest than my brief reply indicates and I am sure many other members are also.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

elf

Post by elf »

It's definitely going to take a while to figure out a workflow for large stacks. So far, the only advantage I see over CombineZM or Tufuse is the ability to work with a familiar interface. The ability to load a set of images aligned should make working with CombineZM output images a lot easier. You can run the Do Macro, then import all of the output images into stacked layers in PS for editing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic