Wiffle stage

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Wiffle stage

Post by elf »

One of the problems with moving the subject while stacking is getting it oriented in an interesting composition. Until now, I have been using small vases. This allows rotating around the vertical axis as well as moving in X, Y, and Z axes.

When I'm moving the camera, I can rotate the camera arm to get different orientations. Now, with the wiffle stage I can do this while moving the subject.

Capital outlay was quite small, just $1.49 for the wiffle ball and a few odd pennies for the plastic pipe fittings, bolts, vinyl tape, and ProtoStar flocking.

Construction is straightforward.
  • Drill .875 inch hole in top of wiffle ball
    Glue .5 inch pvc connector on one end of a short .5 inch pvc pipe
    Cut connector off even with the top of the pipe
    [optional] Drill and tap hole for .25 inch bolt
    Insert pipe assembly into hole in wiffle ball
    Secure with tape
    Make a ProtoStar flocking platform with light cardboard
    Attach to wiffle ball assembly using the built-in ProtoStar adhesive
    Fill wiffle ball assembly half full of water
    Insert subject
    Place wiffle ball assembly on a cylinder
    Take photographs
I tried using pvc/abs glue to hold the pipe assembly in the wiffle ball, but it didn't hold. There may be a better glue for this. The tape may not hold water over the long term.

A better choice for holding the plant in place would be a cork with a center hole. A cork with a pin through it would work great for insects.

It would be even better to find a ferrous metal sphere to use so magnets could hold it in place.

Here's the image:

It's a 2X2 pano that would have been larger, but I nudged the stage while repositioning the backdrop :(

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

elf,

I noticed that no-one else had yet responded to your initial post :(

I like this idea :D

This is an excellent use of a wiffle ball.

What name have you applied to this custom device?

Water would be a problem, too wobbly and too wet. have you thought about an alternative yet?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Craig Gerard wrote:elf,
Water would be a problem, too wobbly and too wet. have you thought about an alternative yet?
lead shot?

morfa

Post by morfa »

It would be even better to find a ferrous metal sphere to use so magnets could hold it in place.
I suppose this would make it quite similar to this (which has been sitting in my eBay watched list for ages): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MicroCLIP-MacroPh ... 35a236e0d3

elf

Post by elf »

The wiffle stage is working quite well for positioning. When it's half full of water, it has enough weight to stabilize a small flower. Having it sit on a wide cylinder helps the stability. Unfortunately, the water does seep through the tape slowly.

Modifications for wiffle stage II will be:
  • Steel balls for ballast: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... NO=4837957.
    Seal the bottom of the pipe, so water can't escape. It should hold enough water to keep the flower from wilting for a few hours.
    Epoxy the balls in place, but allow the pipe to be removed.
    Use a cork with center hole to seal the pipe. This should allow rotating the pipe to nearly horizontal without leaking.
    Use a magnet under the stage to further stabilize it.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I see that the water may be good to prevent wilting. If this is not an issue, then consider using sand, dry dirt, lentils, rice, etc. Those will not leak so easily and will also dampen any vibration you might have. As Chris suggests, lead shot would be even better, but it's more difficult to find.

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

elf, is the .25 inch bolt meant to be used as a handle for moving the ball, or has it another function?
And why is the bottom of the ball (the part opposite the specimen stage) appearing silvery?
rjlittlefield wrote:As Chris suggests, lead shot would be even better, but it's more difficult to find.
Now I am surprised as I had thought almost everyone of you guys over there would have a shot gun and a package of rounds in his cupboard.
Seems the West is not that wild anymore... :wink: :D

--Betty

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Betty...
Now I am surprised as I had thought almost everyone of you guys over there would have a shot gun and a package of rounds in his cupboard. Seems the West is not that wild anymore...
Well partner... it's just that my 000 buck shot and slugs are probably a little too big for the wiffle ball... Image

Steel (and lead) shot can be bought at many outdoor stores and online. But BB's and slingshot ammo are more common and cheaper for the amount needed here.
Last edited by Charles Krebs on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Planapo wrote:Seems the West is not that wild anymore... :wink: :D
Only very recently. When I was a kid we kept lead shot lying around in piles of 25-pound bags. Ah, but those were the good old days! :wink:

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

Planapo wrote:elf, is the .25 inch bolt meant to be used as a handle for moving the ball, or has it another function?
And why is the bottom of the ball (the part opposite the specimen stage) appearing silvery?
The bolt is acting as a clamp pressing against the flower stem. It works but needs a larger head to make turning it easier. Press on knobs are available for this kind of bolt, but a bit of epoxy and a round piece of wood would probably work just fine. Only one is needed as there is no real need to have the flower stem centered. I probably won't put one on the next version because I'll be using a cork to center the flower. If the stem needs to be secured better, I'll try using a pin before adding the bolt.

The silvery color is worn off Sharpie permanent ink. I started to color the entire ball, but realized the camera can't really see any of it.
Planapo wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:As Chris suggests, lead shot would be even better, but it's more difficult to find.
Now I am surprised as I had thought almost everyone of you guys over there would have a shot gun and a package of rounds in his cupboard.
Seems the West is not that wild anymore... :wink: :D

--Betty
I'm a city slicker now, we stopped packin heat a long time before the country boys like Rik :) p.s. Country is an area with a population density less than 2,593.5/km²
rjlittlefield wrote:I see that the water may be good to prevent wilting. If this is not an issue, then consider using sand, dry dirt, lentils, rice, etc. Those will not leak so easily and will also dampen any vibration you might have. As Chris suggests, lead shot would be even better, but it's more difficult to find.

--Rik
I did consider lead and sand, but neither are attracted to magnets :)
Charles Krebs wrote: Steel (and lead) shot can be bought at many outdoor stores and online. But BB's and slingshot ammo are more common and cheaper for the amount needed here.
I'm surprised lead shot is still available. I think it's illegal to actually use it for bird hunting. I may pick some up and mix in with the steel balls. This reminds me of a math problem from high school: Will larger or smaller spheres consume the most volume in sphere?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

elf wrote:Will larger or smaller spheres consume the most volume in sphere?
If I recall correctly, smaller spheres generally pack a larger percentage, given that you have a finite sphere to stay inside. (There is an obvious anomaly in that rule: one large sphere that completely or mostly fills the surrounding sphere. But I digress...) Best of all would be a proper mix of sizes, like in concrete. Gravel fills the voids between the rocks, sand fills the voids between the gravel, and cement powder goes in the little holes that are left.

You're right, I overlooked the part of your plan involving a magnet. Magnetic holders work well when the magnet and matching surface can be close together. But I'll be a little surprised if the magnet adds much in your case, given how much separation the whiffle ball will force between the magnet and the steel balls. Have you prototyped that part yet?

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

I suspect that just the steel ball filling will be enough since the water ballast is working well. But if I really wanted to make sure, I'd get one of these: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... DZX0Y0-N52 :) One of these would probably be more appropriate: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RX032

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I'm surprised lead shot is still available. I think it's illegal to actually use it for bird hunting.
Waterfowl....yes, illegal. But still used (legal) in many places for rabbits, squirrels, pheasant, quail and similar dry land game. (... though probably not a great idea to be blasting lead around anywhere :? )

How about keeping the inside dry and get these to handle the hydration while shooting:
http://www.afloral.com/Floral-Supplies/ ... -and-Picks

elf

Post by elf »

Charles Krebs wrote:
I'm surprised lead shot is still available. I think it's illegal to actually use it for bird hunting.
Waterfowl....yes, illegal. But still used (legal) in many places for rabbits, squirrels, pheasant, quail and similar dry land game. (... though probably not a great idea to be blasting lead around anywhere :? )

How about keeping the inside dry and get these to handle the hydration while shooting:
http://www.afloral.com/Floral-Supplies/ ... -and-Picks
I knew they existed, but didn't know what they were called. They would work better than making one out of pvc pipe.

A Christmas tree ornament might make a nice spherical stage but would be a bit fragile.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

The Wiffelfersal Stage.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic