Cladonia evansii

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Cladonia evansii

Post by Ken Ramos »

More commonly known as the "Powder Puff" lichen, sometimes called "deer moss." These lichens grow profusely underneath the pine trees out back of the house and in my area they are found growing nowhere else but underneath or around the pines. Now this is not to say that one would not find them in any other environmental or ecological setting but this is the case around where I live. :D

Cladonia evansii
Meiji EMZ-13TR w/Sony DSC-W5
Meiji built in halogen illumination w/blue diffuser

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice! This is a situation where limited DOF works to your advantage. If you stacked these, a lot of the feeling of depth would be lost.

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great shots Ken. I see this lichen in the cemetery under the old evergreen trees. the soil must be very acidic because there is a lot of moss and spagnum type stuff along with it. Not much grass, which likes a sweeter soil. On the subject of collecting lichens Ken...are you trying to keep them alive, like giving them light and moisture or just preserving them (drying them out)?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

From what I can gather Doug, lichens do not prefer moisture in the way that we think that they would. However they draw moisture from the air around them, this is why that one can find lichens in some of the most inhospitable places such as deserts, where moisture is drawn from the cool night air. Though some lichens do decompose, it seems most of them can survive for centuries, even if they do dry out completely, they can be revived in the presence of moisture. As far as growth, they do need to be exposed to light so that the needed carbohydrates produced by the algae during photosynthesis can be made available for that growth to occur, though the growth is not readily noticeable without taking yearly measurements. Thanks Doug. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic