total micro newbie frustrations

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

albert

total micro newbie frustrations

Post by albert »

hello fellow earthlings,
so I thought I would explore with a microscope, yeah.
so I bought small Leica Cme -student microscope
goes up to 1k x
wow, a mess, (Leeuwenhoek Im not) aside from not being able to find a single living organism (fresh blood at 400k was totally cool! )
but even in some pond scum and rotting leaves I brought home.,nothing:(

It was while trying to look at this cool blood at 1k x that the objective touched the drop of oil ... ^#%$%#!
Maybe I should have read a book (or 2) before doing this bc
not only does focal point put the distance between the objective & the slide on a likely collision coarse (?)

Thinking of this earlier I was sure they, -the microscope's designers, would not allow such (a crude and horrible) (and probable) event to occur.
I tried to be careful, (the beer didn't help) I hoped it was 'idiot proof'
sure enough, #####!@^&#@# it wasn't/ How does anyone not hit the oil? even spreading it thinner?

At once Im thinking they woulda put a cuff around it to prevent this,,or at least prevent it's travel to that point. ,, no?
NO, the optics require this I supposed.
Unfortunately I don't really what Im doing).

Please suggest the best book (*Or newbie tips extremely you know of on the subject --
recently I bought a 'microscopy' book on amazon recently, the date listed was, copyright 2007 (turned out to be from the 1890s! -probably many good things in there but I wanted something not talking about the effects of aether on the slides.

tx, albert

suggestions on the best way to clean the 100k objective also welcome ...
I dabbed lightly with a cottenelle and felt totally hopeless.
Last edited by albert on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I admire your candor.

In the Yahoo Microscope group, this book is frequently mentioned: Exploring with the Microscope by Werner Nachtigall.

If you search Amazon for that title, they will offer both it and several other books -- "People who bought <this> also bought <these>". They will also print some review comments that say Nachtigall's book may not be suitable for beginners. "Seymour Simon's and Maurice Bleifeld's books on microscopes are far more accessible to the younger student and to those who have little prior knowledge of the subject."

It's hard to know which book will serve you best.

It is surprising that you found nothing interesting in pond scum. But I wonder, since you mention the 100X objective so often, whether you were trying to look at pond scum with only this objective.

I strongly recommend that you stay away from the high power objectives until you have a better feel for how to use the instrument. Microscopes are definitely not "idiot proof".

Start instead with the 10X objective, which will give you 100X overall magnification. (I am assuming that you have 10X eyepieces.) This is plenty of magnification to appreciate the larger protozoa and algae, such as Paramecium and Spirogyra. It is also a "safe" magnification that will keep your objective roughly 10 mm away from the subject.

As for the 100X objective, it is most likely an "oil immersion" objective that is designed to touch the drop of oil. The oil serves as a optical coupler that greatly improves the contrast and resolution, when the objective is used correctly. But there is a lot hidden in those words, "used correctly", and you will need to do a lot more reading to appreciate oil immersion technique. It's also important to note that there are very few subjects that can be viewed well with oil immersion, and can not be viewed well with a lower power dry objective. It is a common beginner's mistake to rush toward the highest powers. You will have more fun, see more interesting stuff, and do a lot less damage by sticking with lower powers that are not likely to crash your objective into the slide.

If the "oil" that you used was a modern immersion oil, made for the purpose, and the objective was designed for oil in the first place, then no harm will be done by leaving the oil on the lens while you contemplate your next move. Whatever you do, do not scrub the lens with anything that might scratch it. This includes paper towels, kleenex, toilet paper, and other obvious absorbent tissues. Microfiber cleaning cloths intended for optics (spectacles) are probably safe, and gentle swiping with a fresh-from-the-box cotton swab will also be OK unless you're really unlucky about how much dust was in the cotton the day they harvested it.

Low powers are the key...low powers are the key...

--Rik
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hairyduck

Post by Hairyduck »

Hi Albert

The 100x objective will be oil immersion, as in it's meant to touch the oil to work properly

Kev

Edit: Rik beat me to it :)

albert

Post by albert »

Thanks guys.

I actually did look on amazon and abe but found what seemed to be either for kids or too advanced.
Regarding the oil immersion, I could swear having read, 'make sure it does not touch the lens'.. so that's a relief. I know I will have to go by trial and error.

I am going to let the pond water sit for a day and get fouler, and see if I can find anything swimming around in there..
Yes, 10x eyepieces (leica cme)
I began on 40x and 400x and got good good results in terms of focusing in but there was nothing there but what looks like solid particles. I will keep at it..
Kind of a silly post., but I was frustrated hinking, how is this possible,. now that I know it should hit the oil..I feel even more foolish.
oh well/..the beer and the microscope probably not agood mix

Hairyduck

Post by Hairyduck »

remember that it's likely that only the 100x lens is oil immersion, don't try the same with the lower power ones or you will wreck them. I hardly ever go above 40x magnification especially when taking photos.

When searching for pond samples it always pays to get hold of some foliage/pond weed etc that's in the water as many things often attach themselves to it. Also try any water that's lying around in old buckets/plantpots/birdtables in the garden as they often a good source of goodies

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

For online resources, try these sites:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/index.html
http://www.microscopyu.com/

Focus on the tutorials and Basic Concepts. These sites also contain a lot of advanced and esoteric material that is easy to get lost in.

--Rik

albert

Post by albert »

Hi,

Im happy to say I have had better success in eying these beautiful micro-critters since my initial post!..
Thank you for the replies, yes I quickly learned that low magnification is the key to exploring and higher to .. well, get in there are clearly as you're able I guess...
My impulse is left seriously wanting in this regard.

I have the same batch of water sitting my counter, Ive made wet mounts by scraping algae off my fish tank glass, sucking up water from the sand substrate, and water mixed with detritus from the filter,
and the same container or rotting pond leaves have all provided a wealth of exploration.

I can visibly see Stylonychia darting around in there (old pond water with rotting leaves, I add a little water from tap every couple of days,
i imagine the chlorine must kill many of the microbes)
and upon closer inspection at 40x there are a large number of others I have yet to identify.

Tonight I found a more unusual (also still un-id'd) one that sits curled and then springs forward instantly so it looks like a flower on a stem when erect, after a moment it closes back up as quickly. The tail is like a zigzag and the head,,, like an open flower.
**later id'd as a Ciliate;
Peritricha - Vorticella
shown here http://www.gpmatthews.nildram.co.uk/index_micro.html

But as I am not staining these or using phase contrast, I am left wishing I could see even more, and I cannot take their photos.
Im reading up on microbiology (nester 5th ed) in hopes of understanding the microbial world a bit better.. it is a bit much so I go slowly and enjoy it. Its amazing to consider how complex it is and how dependent we are on this micro world; certainly as much as we are the macro world.
Ive made use of a small book called 'Guide To Microlife' Ranis & Russell in trying to ID what it is I am looking at.

and today ordered a darkfield slider and a Koehler illumination kit for this leica c me. I do not even really know how much of a difference this $200 expenditure (associated microscope) will make in the viewing of these tiniest of animals.

best, albert

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

rjlittlefield wrote: In the Yahoo Microscope group, this book is frequently mentioned: Exploring with the Microscope by Werner Nachtigall.

If you search Amazon for that title, they will offer both it and several other books -- "People who bought <this> also bought <these>". They will also print some review comments that say Nachtigall's book may not be suitable for beginners. "Seymour Simon's and Maurice Bleifeld's books on microscopes are far more accessible to the younger student and to those who have little prior knowledge of the subject."
I have to second the recommendation of Exploring with the Microscope by Werner Nachtigall. I've been scouring my library for useful books on microscopy, and this is the book I checked out three times. It's targeted at an adult/teen hobbyist and generally takes a practical approach. Being an impatient person, I've not actually read the book through, but was able to scan the book for relevant subjects.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic