Lab-Grown Bismuth Crystal

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Lab-Grown Bismuth Crystal

Post by beetleman »

This is a picture of a lab-grown Bismuth crystal. They do not occur naturally in nature but under lab conditions, High-purity bismuth can form into distinctive hopper crystals....and are then sold to hobbyist....explanation here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopper_crystal and more on the element Bismuth; http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele083.html
This peice is around 2.5" wide by 1.5" and it is very metallic, like multicolored chrome :shock: Both pictures are full frame.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Reminds me of that thing in those Clive Barker movies. "What is your pleasure...your suffering will be legendary." (Pinhead) :shock: Beautiful crystal though, great images there Doug and the link to Wiki was interesting too! :D

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Excellent colour capture Doug!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Interesting! I've never run into this concept before, and I'm intrigued to read in Wikipedia that it has not been investigated very much.

I was also derailed for a while, thinking that the pattern on the white surface was due to light reflecting off the periodic crystal, sort of like caustics on the bottom of a swimming pool. But on closer study, now I think it's actually a pattern woven into fabric, like a tablecloth maybe. Can you tell me for sure?

Thanks for the post!

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Boy Rik, you really see the fine detail don`t you :D . We sell these at the store and they come in those white jewelry boxes, so when I took the picture, I sat the subject on the flipped over bottom and used the top for the backdrop. You are seeing the embossing on the box. It sure would look like the reflection from those stair step patterns. Take care.

Doug
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic