Flash diffuser

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Flash diffuser

Post by NikonUser »

P_T asked about my subject lighting system
HERE

I took 2, 341mL (12oz) styrofoam cups, cut off the bottoms then cut each cup into 3 equal pieces. Glued 5 of the pieces together with hot glue. This gave a cup that has a top width of about 13cm and a bottom width of about 8cm, height is 10cm. Lined half of the the inside with white paper. Off the camera flash is set-up to to almost touch the top of the cup. The part of the cup lined with paper becomes the bottom. The result is a cone of light that illuminates the subject reasonably evenly from all sides. For very reflective subjects one or more layers of facial tissue can be laid over the top of the cup.
Can also be used vertically as seen in the left image.

P_T

Post by P_T »

That setup sure works really well on that beetle but I'm a bit wary at that "evenly from all sides" as that could translate into a rather flat looking image. Have you taken any photos of a subject that is fairly 'matte' in appearance?

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

If you want shadows, simply move the specimen closer to the background, or even substitute a dark sheet for the white paper so that less light is reflected from beneath.
If you want lots of shadow then don't use any diffuser.
Used in the vertical position with a live bug sitting on a leaf will give some shadow.
This moth is matte:

P_T

Post by P_T »

Well I'm sold. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic