ZZ top food

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

ZZ top food

Post by Wim van Egmond »

The ZZ top rotifer seems to be feeding on filamentous algae.

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

It is very important to know what they feed on..super photos Wim (are you sure you do not live right next to Charles?) :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I don't think so. didn't you hear my funny accent? :)

But it is interesting to see that the same rotifers can be found almost worldwide. Could be their ability to spread by the wind?

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim... what has been somewhat interesting is how often we seem to come up with the same (or very similar) species at about the same time. There have been times I logged on to post an image, and found that you had recently posted the same species, so I uploaded something else (especially if yours was better :wink: ) I even compared our geographic latitudes out of curiousity... about 4 degrees difference.

Oh yeah.... just in case there are a few lurkers not up to speed on Texas rock, here's the reason for the subject headers for this guy.... \:D/

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

:smt044 I was thinking of that same picture this morning when I read this post and singing "SHES` GOT LEGS" :smt082 Wim, I also want to know "where are all the tidepool shots from your trip to France!!"
Doug Breda

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

She got leeeeeggs, and she knows how to use theeeeem.
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi folks,

I have a blesphamic question: are we dead sure this is a rotifer at all? Since when do rotifers show ciliature (I'm not talking about the "beard"!)? And that mouth doesn't look like any kind of mastax that I've seen in the books!

Best wishes

Bernhard

P.S. If you ask me for a better idea, I don't have one

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

That was very funny, Charlie! I play in a rock band myself but I don't have a beard:)

Can't imagine that any of my pictures were better than yours! :) I always think it is nice to post the same subjects because than you can compare the features on the organism and compare eachother's technique and colours etc. I have learned a lot by comparing my work to the other work in the forum. So, please don't hesitate to post any similar subject. Also in the very unlikely case that mine is better! :)

There are surely some coincidences. In some cases it is the season for such organisms. But I also think we have a bit similar interest in weird and grotesque beasties. And there are some organisms that are great subjects and also for certain techniques, like flash microscopy or stacking. So they simply ask for being photographed. I have always liked ciliates and rotifers and of the insects flies are my favourites. Mainly because their beauty is hidden.

Bernhard. any comment is welcome! Good to be not too dogmatic and always feel free to question anything! Yes, I am sure it is a rotifer. The mastax is out of focus. I tend to focus on the flat ciliated part which works out best in the shallow DOF. I should make some pictures of other parts. Probably makes identification easier.

Doug, I still have to sort out all my tide pool material but I thought I'd make some photographs of insects before the winter starts. But I'll post one in the macro forum. By the way, did you know Breda is a place half an hour from my home? Perhaps your family originates from the Netherlands?

Gee, what a lot of small talk. And that for the sunday afternoon. It is time to go back home and try to have a few hours of weekend:)

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Well Wim, My grandfather came over from Italy with the name during the depression. The name is from your area as I understand it, but I am not sure how it came to Italy, Probably some old conqueror brought it with him. Also Lots of Von Breda names from the Netherlands. It truly is a small world (Macro) we live in :D
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well... :smt017 my family name is spanish, though I cannot speak or understand a word of it. I will assume my ancestory came from some old explorer. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic