Ice - from sunnier days

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Aynia

Ice - from sunnier days

Post by Aynia »

We are heading for the wettest August in history - at least here in Ireland. Garden is soggy and squidgy and many of the bugs aren't here.

So here are a few shots I took in February. We had lovely sun, but it was freezing. The ice is water from the bird water - which I had to break so they could have a drink. First one is it broken.

Other two, I picked it up and held it to the sky for better background.

Taken with Olympus e510, 35mm macro lens at full magnification. Available light.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh nice shots Aynia! I know what you mean about the weather- it doesn't seem to have stopped raining all year!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A beautiful way of thinking out of the box for a change. I like the lighting and the composition of the third image, very nice. :D

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Aynia,
They all caught my eye; but that third one really made me stop and look. It has many abstract shapes within it - can you see the outline of a horse - he is looking to the right?

Beautiful.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Aynia:

Very nice photos. Good composition and imagination as well.

A late friend of mine once suggested to me to try using a polarizing filter on the camera and having the camera and ice face away from the sun where you get the maximum polarization effect.

I haven't tried yet.

You should get good interference colors with real thin ice like you found.

We had our eight inches of rain over a couple of days in early spring. Some Wisconsin farm fields are still under water. Our area is pretty much drought--typical for August.

Jim

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

augusthouse wrote:Aynia,
They all caught my eye; but that third one really made me stop and look. It has many abstract shapes within it - can you see the outline of a horse - he is looking to the right?

Beautiful.

Craig
Craig, now that you mention it, yep, I can see the horse.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Have a few more interesting ones. The ice was held up with the help of a stone frog which was in the middle of the container. Little shards were interesting but very fragile and melted quickly. My arms were sore too.

I have a polariser - ok not mine, but it's in the house so if we get some more ice I might have a go and see what happens.

P_T

Post by P_T »

I love the refraction on those ice, they really are quite beautiful aren't they?

Just one thing though, I see 3 sensor dust spots on the left and right of the last two photos. No biggie though, just a few clone stamps would get rid of those easily.

Speaking of which, what do you guys use to clean your sensors?

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

pt... not sensor dust, but water drops on my filter (uv filter) more than likey from holding the ice higher than the camera. Ice was quite a big lump for the first few shots and possibly was overlapping etc. Also hands were freezing and left hand doesn't really move where I want it.

I could clone them out..

As for cleaning the sensor.. so far I haven't done it on my e510. Only got it done once on e500 though not sure if it needed it. Freebee from the camera shop to customers - for others it's about €50.

Wouldn't try it myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic