www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Just some bugs
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just some bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doenoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Just some bugs Reply with quote

Made some bug shots 2 weeks ago, just got to proces them today. All where shot with a Canon 350D, Sigma 105 2.8 macro and a Speedlite 430EX with a lumiquest softbox. The settings were: ISO100, F13, 1/200
I have been hunting this kind of butterfly for ages, but it just wouldnt sit still. But finally one was hungry enough to just ignore the moron with the camera

Finally spotted a Dragonfly too and this one probably had seen more than enough photographers allready and just couldnt be bothered by me

And a spider, because spiders are cool Smile

Thanks for looking
Greetz Daan
salden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some beautiful images and that dragonfly is excellent.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiders are "cool?" Well that is one for the spiders. Laughing These are really sharp images, well done! Very Happy
P_T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just some bugs Reply with quote

doenoe wrote:
And a spider, because spiders are cool Smile
Amen brother!! Very Happy

I'm guessing that's a Garden Orb but they usually abandon their web to hide during the day time... Unless that's a night time shot with an off-camera flash. As Ken said, very sharp indeed. Did you do any sharpening in Photoshop?
doenoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone Smile
I always use the unsharp mask in Photoshop. Since i shoot RAW, the camera doesnt do anything to the pic. So i have to do it myself.
Most of the times its cropping, levels, brightness/contrast, saturation, resize, unsharp mask.
Here is another picture of the same spider. But this time you can see its body. He is trying to get a leave out of its web. It was shot in daytime on a very sunny day.
tpe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the first two, the butterfly because the wings fill up 2/3 on one side and the flower does the job on the other making the weighting very nice, especially so for a flash photo.

The dragonfly portrait is great just because it fills the frame so nicely and those things are real swines to get nicely composed.

tim
doenoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
im pretty happy with the butterfly pic too. Was the first white one i shot this year. Those things never sit still.
The dragonfly was pretty easy actually. I just moved very slowly and it just stayed put. Only flew away once and then it came back to the same spot. Was really suprised that it let me get that close though.
Danny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have to be the best cabbage white butterfly shot I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few Very Happy Excellent !!!

Danny.
albert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Would you please tell me if those signed borders done in Photoshop as well? I am trying add my name to shots I may post or send around and the only thing I see in photoshop is something called, digimarc, which must be purchased -nt a problem, but the trial seemed rather convoluted, the image had to be saved as a gif first.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert, most people add visible signatures, copyright notices, and borders using the Text tool and layers.

Digimarc is something completely different. Its job is to create an invisible signature (invisible watermark) that can be used to deter & detect copyright violations.

--Rik
doenoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply Albert, i totally missed your post.
But if you didnt find out yet, the border is done in PS. It pretty easy to do actually. Just do a search for "Photoshop border" (or something along those lines) on Google and you will get tons of information.
In photoshop you can make an Action from it, so you dont have to do all the steps on every pic you want to have a border. You just click on the start button and voila, a border.
Cyclops

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots! Love that dragonfly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: