The Beauty, the Bold, and the Poser

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

The Beauty, the Bold, and the Poser

Post by Moebius »

I am pleased with the soft pastel look to this midge. No color adjustments made.

This I shot last year and am just finishing processing him. Can't remember for sure if I showed him before or not. He is a Tangle-veined fly.

Lacewing on lookout

Ken Nelson
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm
Canon 580EX

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken, these are beautiful! :smt023 Color, composition, sharpness -- it's hard to find something not to love! :D

If I had to quibble, I'd suggest cropping a few mm off the bottom of image #3. I'm sure it's a personal quirk, but I'm always distracted by things that are almost completely visible, but not quite. So that bottom leaf (bract, whatever) keeps grabbing my attention. Crop off just a little more, say the dark part, and the effect gets a lot less. It would have been even better, for my eyes, to have backed off just a tad and captured the whole flower head. I have no idea whether other people work the same way. :?

That fly in #2 is really interesting. Quite the beak on that critter!

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Very good pictures, Ken!

Most interesting is no. 2.
I don´t think you showed this one before, I surely could remember, unless I would have missed it then.
I have never encountered a nemestrinid fly in the field before, they are rare over here. So your pic, so rich in detail, is most welcome. :D

--Betty

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Rik,

Don't think that getting another cm or so on the bottom wasn't my plan on the original composition, but it just moved slightly. Now that you mention it, it bugs me now too (yeah, thanks...). I don't know if the solution is cropping slightly, as you still wouldn't see space at the bottom, or better yet perhaps, cloning out that part of the leaf/bract so that some bg shows below it...will experiment.

Betty,

Yes, these things are very loud, like a loud bee, and they have a slow hovering action as they skim across the ground...almost like a helicopter. I have only seen them a few times, and the few I saw tended to land in dense grass/cover. This particular one landed in a tuft of tall grass, but I was slowly able to get closer and closer to it, pushing away distracting grass stems as I went.

K

P_T

Post by P_T »

I really like the first image with the soft pastel colour.

As for the third image, I think it's because there are only 2 things in focus and the insect is unfortunately smaller than the plant so my eyes kept getting pulled towards the plant.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

P_T wrote:
As for the third image, I think it's because there are only 2 things in focus and the insect is unfortunately smaller than the plant so my eyes kept getting pulled towards the plant.
If this third image was cropped to crop out most of the flower it would work better. I think the flower bud is a bit in your face - at least in my face. :shock:

I do like the first two. The second one is kinda fluffy and hairy and soft and dare I say almost cuddly looking (and no I never did have stuffed toys!!)

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Number 2 gets my vote also - an excellent image of a very endearing creature!

David

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

There all great of course but the midge is my favorite. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic