Sight training

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarcoD

Sight training

Post by MarcoD »

Free training for your sight:

weekend exercise n°1
Try to found a cicada in an environment full of cicada's songs!!!

.... they were everywere around me ... but finally on olive tree... I saw one, just one, of at least 15 on it, estimated on base of noise intensity.

I ran away after the photo, so as not to become permanently deaf.

Camera model Canon EOS-400D
Exposure time 1/160 s
F-number f/9
ISO 400
Focal length 55 mm

Camera model Canon EOS-400D
Exposure time 1/500 s
F-number f/4,5
ISO 320
Focal length 35 mm
Bye!
Marco.

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

They have a rather good camouflage indeed.
The first time I photographed Cicada was in Texas, and I was truely astonished by the sound they make. Funny thing was that they also could be heard when the were flying, the wing beats that is.

Erland

P_T

Post by P_T »

That's hard to spot!! but once you see it, it's like "how did I miss that?". Very nice shot there.

edit: I can't say "d a m n" here?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

P_T wrote:I can't say "d a m n" here?
Well, you can get that into the database, but the forum software will print it out as #####. All words that start or end with those letters are in some standard list of banned patterns. You can't say "d_amnation" either, although oddly enough, you can say "hell".

One might wonder why they bother, since the list is quite incomplete, contains only patterns that match fairly common obscenities, and it's easy to get around the ban as we've demonstrated.

Best I can figure, the intention is simply to make authors wonder whether they really want to use that particular word instead of another one.

Ultimately it is the human admins who decide what is and is not acceptable. (And in this forum, I can't recall ever having to censor someone's language. This is a delightfully civilized bunch! :D )

MarcoD, you have good eyes and good ears. I find it hard to locate a cicada even when there is only one singing.

--Rik

MarcoD

Post by MarcoD »

Thanks guys! :D

telling the truth ... I have explored the olive tree for about 10 minutes before locate the cicada!
probably the other 14 cicadas sang onto that, which I didn't found, were on the side of the branches towards the sky! :lol:
Bye!
Marco.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic