I AM more patient than a crab spider!

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

I AM more patient than a crab spider!

Post by Moebius »

I was out in my wildflower garden looking for subjects when a dozen or so feet away I saw movement on top of small Fleabane blossom. I looked underneath the flower and there he was; a small crab spider. Well, I set the tripod up, got the composition I wanted, and waited for him to come back up to the top of the flower.

I waited, and waited...and waited. Finally, I got up to stretch my legs and check what was going on down the path. I got perhaps 10 feet away and looked back; there he was, on top of that flower again! I tried to slowly sneak back but I couldn't get very close at all before he went back underside the flower. So, I went and got a camping chair, something to drink, and decided to wait it out.

When I got back with the chair, there he was again, but as soon as he saw me, he disappeared again. I set up the chair, leaned back with my drink, and just decided to wait him out. By this time my ankles were a smorgasboard for the mosquitos and biting flies, but I didn't budge...it was personal now and I knew I had to have this guy. My wife called in from the house that supper was on the table, but I wasn't going to budge. Finally, about an hour and a half after I first spotted him; he finally gave me a few shots. Worth the wait indeed...

#1 When he first made his appearance

#2 Moving to his favorite perch

#3 Settling in for his dinner; right before mine

Ken

Canon 30D, Sigma 150mm, 580EX
Last edited by Moebius on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know Ken these are really neat shots, great background and nice sharp focus on the spider but...1024 X 683 :?: No wonder I had a time scrolling across and down the monitor. :lol: No problem, just a minor bit of resizing ought to do the trick. :wink:

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

...resized complete

K

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Ken :D Crab spiders do make good subjects in that they are most always still and seldom run away, unless you startle them. Good for predatory shots too! :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

The third one is excellent, with the spider in her defensive posture. I agree on the composition also, very nice.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic