Nikon CF

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

Nikon CF

Post by augusthouse »

Is this good - for use on a bellows in photomacrography? I'm inclined to believe it is.......hmmm......must decide quickly.

Nikon CF Plan 50X/0.45
EPI SLWD
WD=13.8 mm

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Too late, I just purchased it.

It was previously owned by a geologist from Georgia USA.

Now I will have to sell something(s) which is/are 'surplus' or can be easily replaced.

Craig

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Doesn't say whether it is infinity or 160. Therein lies the decision.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks Gene,
Looking into that aspect now. Below is the one and only picture from the actual eBay listing; though I don't know that it tells us much. In appearance the barrel looks similar to my CF 20x/.46 ∞/0 EP
www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... +objective

The other details I listed were obtained from the seller.

Craig

*edited typo
Last edited by augusthouse on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Just received the information - it is an infinity-corrected objective.

So, taking onboard the experience and knowledge of others as discussed in other threads on the forum I have decided to withdraw from the purchase. I'll pay any fees incurred by the seller. The price was a good one in comparison to similar items currently for sale.

Though, my initial observations, as a point of interest, while using my Nikon CF 20x/.46 infinity-corrected objective, is that I have been able to achieve somewhat acceptable images and had put the (what appear to be minor) issues related to output images down to my lack of experience rather than the inability of the objective to perform as desired for my purposes.

I won't give up on the 20x; but I'm definitely not qualified to draw any conclusions in regard to its useability.

I will still keep looking for a higher powered objective that 'ticks' all the boxes - an ELWD or SLWD non infinity-corrected CF.

Craig

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

This is a subject I wish I knew a bit more about!! :) I'm just grateful to Charles for the initial recommendation on that Nikon 10x CF...

Do we know for sure are all the CF lenses Plan? And does that really matter? (Plan is something to do with Achromatic / Apochromatic lenses isn't it? In which case I guess it must be desirable at least!)

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Laurie,
Below is a quote from a response I received a while back when asking a similar question in regard to 'Plan'. You have reminded me of its significance.

"The 'Plan' is also a good feature. This means that there should be little curvature of the image 'field' across the bulk of the image circle. With a very low end, non-plan objective you might focus in the middle of a flat subject and find that you really need to make significant focus changes to see the edges in focus."

'Plan' is definitely important. I don't know if all Nikon CF objectives are designated as such. I look forward to the input of others who can enlighten us further.

I am also somewhat confused in regard to differences between "M" or "EPI" designation. "M" designates a 'metallurgical' objective...one designed to be used on a scope that normally uses "epi" illumination (ie:lit from above, with commonly opaque subjects). They are generally designed to be used without a cover slip. In photomacrography, this is generally the method we use; so to my understanding either "M" or "EPI" designation is OK?

Craig

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Craig -

I recently bought a set of Nikon 10X and 4X CF N Plan Achromats (160mm tube length) on eBay, and then got a CF M Plan 20X ELWD objective (210mm tube length) from a different seller, all in pristine condition at very reasonable prices. These have all proven to be very sharp lenses. The 4X has an NA of 0.13, indicating an approximate f/stop of 3.84, but it has better resolution at 4X than my 40mm f/4 Zeiss Luminar and my 25mm f/2 Photar (since sold), and the working distance is a tight but usable 16mm. I have a pdf file of a Nikon brochure on the 160mm tube length CF lenses that contains both images and data tables, but was not sure how to post it in the forum. I would be happy to email it to anyone who sends me a PM.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks for the info David.

I forgot about the 'CF N' being okay, as has been demonstrated in a number of threads.

Prices are not static. My CFM 10x MI 210/0 was purchased for US$99.00 about 14 months ago. The same seller still has some from the same consignment but they are now listed at US$607.00 and have been for some time.

Regarding the Nikon Brochure. I'll send through a PM with my email address. Would be very interested in seeing that particular piece of literature.

While we are at it - I remember reading somewhere that Mr Zenji Wakimoto was behind the original CF design? Hats off to you Zenji! .......Don't want to get too far off-track too early in this thread though.....

There are some important details regarding Nikon CF objectives discussed in the following thread:
http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewt ... 16&start=0

Craig

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Just posted a single image from a stack using an infinity-corrected 20x CF that might be of interest to some - for certain applications. (scroll down the page to Fri Jul 18 post at link below).

www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... 1692#31692

Craig

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

There is a NIKON CFM Plan MI 10X / 0.25 N.A. Objective (210/0) on eBay at the moment. The seller has one left. This objective is New (discontinued). I just purchased a 'backup'. This objective has significant 'substance' and is beautifully made. The picture in the listing does not do it justice.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=020

Craig

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

That does look like a very nice lens.

I have bought a number of items from this seller. They are usually very amenable to offers made for things.
I think they are a long time microscope supplier and ebay is where they unload all their inventory that is discontinued, excess and sitting not making them any money. I am very favorably disposed to them and if they were listing something I needed I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.
Gene

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Here is a better look at this item. These images were taken of the item I originally purchased. The second one I purchased is for back-up.

It's the objective I used in this post

The specs are engraved on the barrel. It's a beautiful thing!

Gene wrote:
I think they are a long time microscope supplier and ebay is where they unload all their inventory that is discontinued, excess and sitting not making them any money.
The Nikon container has the following details:
"903-79102 CF PLAN MI 10X - DISCONTINUED"

I think you have summed-up the seller nicely Gene.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic