Mystery larvae, ant parasite or commensal?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tpe

Mystery larvae, ant parasite or commensal?

Post by tpe »

While in the northen regions of spain this turned up under a stone. It looked like it was being protected by ants in the same way as they would aphids. Unfortunatly being a larvae (Lycaenidae sp?) it is probably very hard to identify, and i did not keep it but just replaced the stone it was under. Incedently under the same stone there was a scorpion and a tarantula. I would very much like to know what the larvae was as i suspect that it has some kind of interesting relationship going on with the ants that may or may not make it more recognizable. Otherwise i am not sure where to start to find or identify something like this.

In the mean time here it is, not a brilliant picture but hopefully servicable for identification if i get lucky and one of you guys knows what it is :)

A scorpion, probably Buthus occitanus.

and a (spanish) tarantula

Thanks for looking and especially if you can identify the larvae

tim

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Nice finds, Tim!
In your first photo a lycaenid butterfly larva (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) is shown. For about two thirds of the investigated lycaenids it is known that their larvae have some kind of association (symbiosis s. l.) with various ant species, mostly appearing to be mutualistic and, in a number of cases, clearly parasitic, where the lycaenid larvae enter the nest of the ants, feed on the ant brood and pupate in the ant nest.
For the interactions with the ants the lycaenid larvae have evolved some special glandular organs ( e. g. a so-called honey-gland that produces sugary secretions that the ants are extremely keen on) which I think I can recognize on the larva in your photo. The ants pictured look like Myrmica workers, a genus well known for its associations with lycaenids.

There is a vast body of scientific literature dealing with the ant-lycaenid associations.

--Betty

tpe

Post by tpe »

Many thanks Betty, lots of lovely stuf to read :) all facinating stuff. And thanks for identifying the ants, i was going to ask as it may have been a help with the identification. Now just to find out if this guy eats or helps the little ants :).

tim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Interesting photos Tim, well taken :D Remind me though, not be turning over rocks or stones if I ever find myself visiting Spain again. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic