Cranefly stack

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

acerola

Cranefly stack

Post by acerola »

I have a new camera. I finally bought a Canon 40D. The 20D was a very good camera but the 40D was not too expensive and Charlie article about the silent shoot mode was the last push to buy it.
I also tried a new lighting method. I used a Led torch with ping-pong ball diffusion.
Here is the result.

Canon 40D, Nikon 10x objective, 1s, 47 picture stacked with Tufuse

I like the live mode very much, I can compose the picture a little better.
Péter

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice work! I like it a lot!

Did you do any unsharp-mask after resizing for web? as the eye does not look as sharp as it could be... These days I do an unsharp mask as the final piece of PP on the full sized image, then resize for web and do another (very mild) unsharp mask on the 800px sized image...

I also find the LV on my Olympus very useful for getting things setup nicely in front of the camera...

Does the LCD on the 40D tilt? On mine I can tilt the screen up so I can look straight down on it (only with the camera in horizontal mode unfortunately) then I can look down on the whole camera/bellows/subject setup and fiddle with the subject until it looks right on the screen. On my old camera without LV I would play with the subject, have a look through the viewfinder, play with the subject, check the viewfinder, adjust the subject, ad-infinitum..

acerola

Post by acerola »

Yes I did USM on my workplace TFT monitor. It seemed good enough for me then. It is not so sharp on my home CRT monitor.
I did not know any Canon DSLR with tilt screen. But it is just the first generation of DSLRs with live view. I did not miss it yet, the view angle is very good. And I can use the Video out for this type of application if I need it much.
Péter

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

acerola wrote:And I can use the Video out for this type of application if I need it much.
Yes that was my thought too for when I have the camera in portrait orientation, as the screen does not rotate on my camera, just tilt...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic