Robber fly - Dioctria species

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Robber fly - Dioctria species

Post by lauriek »

This is a shot I took last July - was just going back through some pics and I realised this is the same species as one I've been stacking tonight - and wondering what it was.

It's obviously a fly (I think when I first spotted it I thought it was a wasp due to the 'waisted' shape) - the small yellow blob is a haltare, quite obvious on the specimen I have. The eyes appear a shade of blue in the close ups, which I will post over in technical in a day or two!!

Any thoughts as to the genus? I've not got much in the way of fly books, apart from hoverflies and a few general insect guides, which usually feature little in the way of flies outside of commonly seen ones around the house and hoverflies..
Last edited by lauriek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Good shot, Laurie - I thought Betty'd ID'd this from a previous shot of similar specimen - but unfortunately am mistaken - haven't seen another since.

(did a good job on the white 'hairy' bits, too :) )

pp

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Hmm definitely the same genus, I would imagine the same species as your shot - shame Betty couldn't ID it - I suspect in that case it will remain a mystery!!

Got one nice stack to post but am at work at the moment, will try to post when I get home this evening!

nto

Post by nto »

A robber fly (family Asilidae) I think :D
Antonio

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Ahh, you could well be right - one of the smaller robber flies, I will have a trawl through my books when I get home soon!! Thanks for the tip! :)

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Ahh good catch, I think this is Dioctria rufipes, which is a robber fly - at least I'm pretty sure the genus is right, this is the only species in the genus in my book...

nto

Post by nto »

Dioctria certainly, I would not know exact id,
here find interesting scans http://www.geller-grimm.de/morph/morph01.htm
Antonio

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks for the help, even partial ID much appreciated! :)

I've uploaded a stack of a similar fly, almost certainly of the same genus, over in the 'technical forum' here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic