Dung fly eating

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

puzzledpaul

Dung fly eating

Post by puzzledpaul »

Seemed to be some sort of dung fly season ... so thought I'd add one taken a couple of days ago ...

Had been watching / taking pics of this individual when it suddenly took off and returned almost a split second later ... with prey. (these things aren't half quick :) )

Buried inside fairly thick foliage - hence the 'semi-peeping Tom' cameo look.

20D + Tamron 180 macro + tube ... 1/250, F13
550ex + folded dacron sailcloth diffuser
Custom low-level support rig.

2100sq crop from 2.3k x 3.5k orig file ... mainly sides cropped 'cos of foliage.

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I don`t know Paul, it looks like these two flies just got married and they had one of those halo portrait pictures taken together. Look how lovingly she is holding her little darling. All joking aside, An incredible photo Paul, lots of great detail, action, and DOF IMO.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Thx, Doug ... I hadn't considered the 'romantic involvement' aspect before reading your post ... now I'll be even more concerned every time swmbo approaches with that 'special look' in her eyes :)

It would've been good to get a different angle on the shot - but I couldn't really change my position - and the subject stayed as shown until it flew off ... c'est la vie.

pp

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I really like the details and colors in this Paul, excellent job and nice to be in the right place at the right time, eh? :D

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Thx for the comments, Ken- appreciated.
(was unsure of the cols, btw - as couldn't get get a clear light pathway for the flash - so had to col.correct pic - on an uncal'd monitor.)

<< nice to be in the right place at the right time, eh? >>

Sometimes wonder ... in this case, kneeling / lying / crouching on the 'join / interface / edge' of a rough concrete path / waterlogged flower bed and the posted scene happening less than a foot above ground level - only visible thro' a fairly tight 'window'.

As you suggest - a lot of luck involved ... but we have to sometimes engineer situations to help such 'luck' along, methinks - if I'd stayed at home ... I wouldn't have seen it :) (As with the pics you post when you go walkabout)

.... but ... can certainly see the attractions of stacking sometimes :)

pp

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

This is a great pic. :D

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Thanks for the comment, Aynia - one of those 'tight' situations where I was glad of the extra reach of the 180... but it would've been nice if it'd changed position :)

pp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic