Queen wing scales

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

Queen wing scales

Post by dmillard »

Wing scales of Queen Butterfly (Danaus gilippus) at 9X, 25mm Photar @ f/2.8, 35 frames stacked in Helicon Focus.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

David,
I like the way this image draws our attention the the lighter shade scales. They look like a flock of birds flying over a landscape.

The structure and patterns in Lepidotera wings fascinate me, both from a scientific and abstract art perspective.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent colors and textures on this picture David. Nature seems to get more beautiful the closer (X factor :wink: ) you look. I did have to look up this butterfly to see what the whole specimen looked like.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Lovely image David!

I also find these patterns endlessly fascinating on a variety of levels.

Stacking techniques work so nicely with this subject. In the past one generally needed to "stop down" too far to accommodate the minute "hills and valleys"... losing the very fine detail. And even then it was not always possible to get the entire pattern in focus.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Lepidopteran wings do look like landscapes when magnified to this degree, and stacking really helps communicate that appearance . . .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic