www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Bdelloid rotifer - Habrotrocha?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bdelloid rotifer - Habrotrocha?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Bdelloid rotifer - Habrotrocha? Reply with quote

Bdelloid rotifer-Habrotrocha

Leitz Ortholux in brightfield.
25X Leitz achromat.
10X Leitz Periplan GF projection eyepiece plus 1/3X Sp. Reflex lens
Canon 10D camera
Strobe illumination
Photoshop enhancements

Some results from this weekend's project. To finally, after many years, to get a good image of this rotifer I first modified one of my Vivitar 283 strobes per Mr. Krebs's instructions. Then I had to extract a willing subject from my summers collection jars. All went well in the end. After many, many exposures I have finally a few portaits of this amazingly complex critter. Notice the differance in the beating heart. Thank you Charles and all you great folks that run this web site
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter... pretty neat to see those cilia "frozen" while in motion, isn't it!

Are you sure you are not referiing to the mastax (the part that "crushes" the food) when you refer to the "beating heart"?

Glad you have the flash up and working. Look forward to see more live active critters. Happy to be of any help I can.
bernhardinho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Walter,

nice images! Just out of interest: what makes you so sure about it being a Habrotrocha and not a Rotaria?

Bernhard
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am certainly no expert on these these rotifers and am most likely wrong about the heart. Regarding whether it is Rotaria or Habrotrocha is based on a low magnification image I saw on a website. It looked similar to me but I could be wrong, hence the ? mark in the subject box.

Walt
Thomas Ashcraft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,

Congratulations. Capturing individual cilia at the corona is a great accomplishment. - Tom
gpmatthews

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is more likely to be Rotaria - Habrotrocha usually have pellet-like material plainly visible within their body. See my image at http://www.gpmatthews.nildram.co.uk/microscopes/pondlife_rotifers.html for an example. You have indeed captured the cilia well.

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: