I need ID please

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dusko

I need ID please

Post by Dusko »

Big hallo to all you amazing photographers. As I already mentioned, you are an inspiration, amazing images. Always a pleasure browsing this forum :D

I posted this thread in here since these photos of mine are ... well... out of the league :oops:

I am very much into aquarium (pond) algae and this time I have discovered an algae, I have never seen before.
Does any one have a clue what this might be? (microscopy forum would probably be better place to ask, just guessing);

I have researched and tested many algae in my freshwater tanks and none of them are like this one. Here is my algae Id blog;
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

All freshwater algae I have encountered go "flat" as soon they are taken out side the water. This one stayed erected and is very hard on touch, something like the shoe brush (literally). But it does band on touch, not brake.
It is not growing on plants, only on this peace of bog wood. It is growing on the side exposed to light and on the underside, so strong light is probably not something this algae needs to thrive. It is slow growing, like individual strands, which are separated (not like the Black Beard algae which resembles the water color brush)

I have thought at first it is the Staghorn algae. But Staghorn is a branching algae and this one has nonbranching black/grey strands.

I am very excited about this new discovery :P and sure would like to know what this new friend of mine is called (the algae).

Thanks for any help offered.

Kind regards, Dusko

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic