Bdelloid rotifer - Habrotrocha?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Bdelloid rotifer - Habrotrocha?

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Bdelloid rotifer-Habrotrocha

Leitz Ortholux in brightfield.
25X Leitz achromat.
10X Leitz Periplan GF projection eyepiece plus 1/3X Sp. Reflex lens
Canon 10D camera
Strobe illumination
Photoshop enhancements

Some results from this weekend's project. To finally, after many years, to get a good image of this rotifer I first modified one of my Vivitar 283 strobes per Mr. Krebs's instructions. Then I had to extract a willing subject from my summers collection jars. All went well in the end. After many, many exposures I have finally a few portaits of this amazingly complex critter. Notice the differance in the beating heart. Thank you Charles and all you great folks that run this web site

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Walter... pretty neat to see those cilia "frozen" while in motion, isn't it!

Are you sure you are not referiing to the mastax (the part that "crushes" the food) when you refer to the "beating heart"?

Glad you have the flash up and working. Look forward to see more live active critters. Happy to be of any help I can.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Walter,

nice images! Just out of interest: what makes you so sure about it being a Habrotrocha and not a Rotaria?

Bernhard

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Well, I am certainly no expert on these these rotifers and am most likely wrong about the heart. Regarding whether it is Rotaria or Habrotrocha is based on a low magnification image I saw on a website. It looked similar to me but I could be wrong, hence the ? mark in the subject box.

Walt

Thomas Ashcraft

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

Walter,

Congratulations. Capturing individual cilia at the corona is a great accomplishment. - Tom

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I think it is more likely to be Rotaria - Habrotrocha usually have pellet-like material plainly visible within their body. See my image at http://www.gpmatthews.nildram.co.uk/mic ... ifers.html for an example. You have indeed captured the cilia well.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic