Water Strider

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Water Strider

Post by Charles Krebs »

Water Striders are "true bugs" that we've all seen scurrying around on the water's surface in streams and ponds. They have a piercing mouth which they use to suck out the contents of their prey. The parts of their legs that contact water are covered with tiny, grooved hairs. These grooves trap air and provide remarkable buoyancy.
(See: http://www.livescience.com/animals/0411 ... rider.html )

Nikon D200 with 105mm Micro-Nikkor, and additional extension tube. Electronic flash.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I take it those are alive? In which case how on earth did you get so close, just lots of patience?

Really nice work, these things are tricky to get close to! You know they can fly? (One once landed on my car...)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Laurie,

Yes they are alive, and as you mentioned, can be very active. I placed 3 of them in a small fish tank, with the water level just about 1 inch from the top. These seemed to be able to "jump" only about 3/4 inch. (Some species can fly at certain times in their life cycle, but these could not).

After awhile they settle down somewhat, and when they are in certain locations in the tank it's possible to get a nice low angle shot.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Ahh I wondered if you had put them in some sort of tank, I didn't realise only some of them can fly so couldn't see why they stayed put!

I spent a while trying to photograph some of these in the wild once, got one barely acceptable pic but not up to the standards of yours, and nearly got myself and camera gear very wet!! ;)

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Be careful when handling large water bugs. Some, such as the back-swimmer Notonecta, can give a painful bite.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Good work Charles, these are insects I've always wanted to photograph but never gotten a decent shot of!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The lighting is about as good as you can get. Was it daylight/diffused?

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Charles,

These are fascinating! The detail in the texture of the back is amazing. The best part to me is the indentation formed by the front "foot" in the water.What a perfect illustration of the effect of surface tension. You have even captured it lifting its leg out of the water in the third image.

I think I recall your photos of the feet of the Water Boatman a while ago.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring contributions.

Roy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic