www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Pieris japonica flower
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pieris japonica flower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Pieris japonica flower Reply with quote

The Pieris japonica bush outside my mom's house is blooming. The outsides of the flowers are kind of bland, but here's what I found on the inside.

I always want to rotate these pictures so the pistils are pointing up, the way the flower anatomy books always show them. But dang it, this is the way they grow -- pointed straight down!

The full flower is 9 mm high.

Aside from the interesting structure of the flower, this subject is another good test for stacking software. Most of the detail is low contrast and easily falls victim to "stacking mush". (I was not pleased with first look in HF and CZM.) TuFuse handled it just fine, though. It did slightly accentuate the brightness of the white pollen, but I'll take that (for now) as a slight price to pay for getting all the rest of the detail.

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D camera, Olympus 80 mm f/4 bellows lens at f/5.6, 43 frames focus stepped at 0.005", aligned with CombineZM and stacked with TuFuse. The full flower is 9 mm high.
augusthouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing what we can find sometimes when we pull the covers back. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention -- I did clean up the background on this one, to get rid of some mild broad halo around the flower. Magic wand in Photoshop to select the background, inverted to select the flower, feathered the selection to soften the edges, and turned the selection into a mask that exposes a new gradient background constructed from colors picked from the original images.

Also, I posted out the source images that went into this stack here. Anybody who wants to download those for research purposes, have at 'em.

Ken, I'm often surprised by what I find inside flowers. In this case, I have no idea what is the function of those long skinny tails on the anthers. On the other hand, this structure doesn't seem nearly as strange as the Vinca minor flower that I did last spring!

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: