www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Butterflies
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Butterflies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Butterflies Reply with quote

I have to start by saying there has been some incredible photography in the forum recently, you folks all continue to awe and inspire me. Soon my day job will end and I'll be able to focus on the wealth of knowledge and talent available here!

My first trip to the local butterfly pavilion went well today. Didn't hit a good light or crowd day, and most of the critters were getting pretty ratty. But it was nice to get in out of the snow and see these critters!

Thanks for looking!
JoanYoung

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shot Ryan. These butterfly farms are alsways worth going to. Smile
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures!

I'd love to hear the story about that second one, especially equipment and technique.

The EXIF data says Nikon D300, f/20, 60 mm, strobe lighting. I'm guessing the f/20 includes the effect of extension for close focusing, and I presume this is a severe crop, but it's still very sharp!

--Rik
Dread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you got it Rik. the 60mm has a "Limit" and "Full" focusing range toggle on the lens, I'm not sure why anyone would want a limit! It was fairly early in the morning, and the flutterbyes were still cool from the night before. The larger ones took longer to get up and about, and I was able to crouch next to this one and keep getting closer. The strobe was the internal flash, and I was at the minimum subject to lens distance.

Glad it worked out Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: