Butterflies

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dread

Butterflies

Post by Dread »

I have to start by saying there has been some incredible photography in the forum recently, you folks all continue to awe and inspire me. Soon my day job will end and I'll be able to focus on the wealth of knowledge and talent available here!

My first trip to the local butterfly pavilion went well today. Didn't hit a good light or crowd day, and most of the critters were getting pretty ratty. But it was nice to get in out of the snow and see these critters!

Thanks for looking!

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Lovely shot Ryan. These butterfly farms are alsways worth going to. :)
Joan Young

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice pictures!

I'd love to hear the story about that second one, especially equipment and technique.

The EXIF data says Nikon D300, f/20, 60 mm, strobe lighting. I'm guessing the f/20 includes the effect of extension for close focusing, and I presume this is a severe crop, but it's still very sharp!

--Rik

Dread

Post by Dread »

Yep, you got it Rik. the 60mm has a "Limit" and "Full" focusing range toggle on the lens, I'm not sure why anyone would want a limit! It was fairly early in the morning, and the flutterbyes were still cool from the night before. The larger ones took longer to get up and about, and I was able to crouch next to this one and keep getting closer. The strobe was the internal flash, and I was at the minimum subject to lens distance.

Glad it worked out :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic