I cannot even begin to identify this - help please!!

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

I cannot even begin to identify this - help please!!

Post by JoanYoung »

I found this on my walk yesterday but unfortunately it was dead already or else I would hve brought it home to see what it developes into.
It was situated on the leaf of a tree about 4 foot off the ground and is about 12mm in length.
Can anyone tell me what it might be??

Joan Young

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's pretty dried up, but from the shape of the wingpads, the antennae, the eyes, and the thorax, I'd guess that this is a wasp that died just barely after emerging from the pupa, before having a chance to expand its wings. Maybe one of the solitary species that bores in wood, or parasitizes other larvae that do? Hard to tell for sure. :?

--Rik

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks Rik, that is a great help. :D I certainly seem to find weird things on my walks. :) There was a strange fly too but I will post it tomorrow.
Joan Young

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

I think Rik is dead on with this one.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Even with a fully developed specimen, someone capable of identifying it, and with the specimen in front of them, might have to turn it on its back and/or on its side, and generally view it from all angles. So the two shots were helpful. In some cases more might have helped.

With a specimen which has neither expanded its wings and abdomen, nor coloured up, there are limits to what can be done. It looks like a wasp and would have to be a solitary species to be so exposed, colonial ones emerging in their nest.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

my guess was some sort of wasp/bee that didnt develop as well.
Jordan L. photo southern california.

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks everyone for the input. I should have taken a picture of the underside too but did not think of it at the time. I appreciate all the help on this one. :)
Joan Young

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Strange-looking thing, Joan. I've not seen one just die like that. Would be a bit creepy to walk along and find it unexpectedly!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Tis a creepy looking critter fer sure. Reminds me of those cicada carapaces I find around every now and again. No, I would not venture even a guess as to what it could be, though I agree with the concensus that it may be a wasp. Good shots Joan. :D

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for the comments. It definitely was creepy looking and I thought it might be some kind of cricket, but my knowledge of these things is less than nil. :)
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic