Ant Portrait Stack - New picture added

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

acerola

Post by acerola »

Rik: You are right, I haven't noticed it. That rainbow thing came in during postprocessing. :roll:
I was lazy with the raw conversion of the original files and the end result was very dull. So I tried to add some life to the picture, I did not noticed it has effect on the background. If I has some time maybe I will start it over again with better sources.

Charles, Cyclops: Thanks
Péter

acerola

Post by acerola »

I processed another batch of pictures. This time I do proper raw conversion. I'm more content with the colors.

Péter

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice -- colors do look better. I notice the front antenna is in a much different position in this picture. What is the state of this specimen? Dead but still soft enough to be repositioned and stay where placed?

--Rik

acerola

Post by acerola »

I placed the ant to the fridge for half an hour. And I started to position him afterwards. I have ant colonies at home (only one colony since my son born :) ) This one is not from my colony. But I have an earlier experience when I try to introduce new members to a ant queen who has a parasitic colony founding. And if you put the workers to the fridge they can accept the new queen easier. So I found accidentally that a similar ant can stay alive in the fridge for about 10 minutes, but not much afterward.

This was the earlier shot. And the antenna blocked the eye. But it did not want to stay out of the way. So I put it slightly under one of the front leg. I get it out for the next shot and it stayed that way then.
Péter

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I too agree with what everyone else has written and that first image would make a wonderful print out, a "feather in ones cap" indeed! Beautiful work. :D

Danny

Post by Danny »

Its going to take a heck of a lot to beat that first shot !!! If it was mine (I wish), I would have a large piece of dirt or grass in the background but well out of focus range. To me, that would then look very natural. Just IMO.

All the best and yep, that first shot is.............well it just is :lol: :wink:

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

acerola

Post by acerola »

Danny,
well maybe I can change the background subsequently. It's a good idea. I have to do a lot of layers in PS. The background more or less effects just the bottom one. All above layers stand out of it.
Péter

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

You know this reminds me of the images you get from an electron microscope only with full colour.
Never seen such a sharp and alive looking macro!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

acerola

Post by acerola »

Cyclops, thanks. But I remember the pictures Charlie and Rik posted earlier. I have the same feeling with them. (that horse fly picture is one of my favorite still)
And speaking about electron microscope. I have the feeling when I saw a picture on a mosquito head with electron microscope that: Hey I can do that in color, except with smaller DOF. And now we can do it more or less with really big DOF.

Danny, I tried t change the background, but it is not that easy. It's easier to reshoot...
Péter

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

acerola wrote:Cyclops, thanks. But I remember the pictures Charlie and Rik posted earlier. I have the same feeling with them. (that horse fly picture is one of my favorite still)

I've not seen those,could you or someone post a link to them please?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Péter,
You have inspired us all.

Cyclops,
Here is a link to the horsefly post.

http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5461
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

augusthouse wrote:
Cyclops,
Here is a link to the horsefly post.

http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5461

Wow thanks for the link,they are superb!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyclops, I keep links to most of my pictures at http://www.janrik.net/RiksLinks.html . There are some other links too, but I don't have enough time to keep them up to date. :(

--Rik

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Cyclops - can also use the forum search facility to find threads authored by whoever - although I think some of Wim's pics are no longer visible.

Excellent pics, btw ... prefer the first :)

pp

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I still reckon the first ant pic is the best I've seen! Its just so ...real! You can imagine yourself standing next to it!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic