www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Atlas Moth
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Atlas Moth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McCluskey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Atlas Moth Reply with quote

Long time no post....

Finally had a chance to snap some shots. Went on a cruise about a week ago, stopped at Grand Cayman, and got to spend about 45 min in a local butterfly farm. Some stunning specimens there to say the least. Really wish we had more time. Anyway, I was fortunate enough to get to see this beautiful atlas moth. The photo doesn't do it's size justice, as it had a wingspan of about 11 inches! Unfortunately, I didn't think to place something in the photos to give it a size reference, but it is huge! Some interesting facts regarding this species. It's the largest of all moths, the pupal stage lasts about six months, and most interesting to me is the fact that once it emerges from it's cocoon, it only has a life span of about 5 days. It lacks a proboscis and as such, has no way to intake water. After finding that out, I felt really lucky to get to see this mature specimen.

First 2 are full framed, the third is a crop of #2, showing a little more detail of the feather like antennae. Both shots taken with D200, 105mm/f2.8 micro-nikkor. F8, 1/60, on board flash. White Bal adjustment/cropped in lightroom.

Hope you found these interesting, I'll post some others from the trip in the days ahead.

Mike
nto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly very beautiful, great detail and colors of the crop,
have knowledge of what is photographer adds more value to photos!!

ciao
Danny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stunning. The size of these are incredible as are the shots. Fantastic colours and details. Love these shots. They look so powerful and a bit like our Emperor Gum moth. Just gorgeous to see.

All the best and thanks for the views.

Danny.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I meant to comment on this thing yesterday and got side tracked. I have only seen these moths once or twice on occasion, they are quite a find. You did a good job on this one, great color, sharp, nice comp. Really good there McCluskey nice work. Especially like the first one. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: